Carb Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Questions

on the engine side of the main body of the carb there is a screw for adjustment of the mixture (so i am told)... i have access to one but the other three have little metal caps, with holes in the middle, over them. Does anyone know how to remove these caps?

Take very small (1/16) drill bit and cafefully drill thru the cap. Let the bit do the work and be cafefull once the bit has gone thru the cap that you dont hit the screws underneath. Once you have the hole drilled take a self tapping screw and cafefully screw it into the cap again. Once the ST screw has got a grip in the cap use a pr of pliers and pull the cap out.

Comment

How thick are the caps.. how deep do i have to drill?

Do i need to replace them when im done??

Comment

caps

Once you get the caps off, screw each one in lightly (counting the turns) so you know what they where at before you started messing with then, write it down some where

Comment

How thick are the caps.. how deep do i have to drill?

Do i need to replace them when im done??
          The caps aren't that thick, there will be space between the back of them and the screw, but as stated don't hit the screw- it's brass, and pretty soft.

You don't need to replace the caps- once you start messing with them you might never stop, so just throw them caps away.

Good luck, and buy a carb syncronizer...
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Any idea on how i can make a carb sync?

Comment

The caps are 2mm potmetal. There is about 2mm gap between the cap and the head of your mixture screw. Take care not to drill into the mixture screw. I wouldn't bother make a sync tool. You can buy one from Motionpro.com at: http://www.motionpro.com/Docs/servicetools.html
              Click on the Service Tools #1 link. For $47.50 you can buy an accurate guage that will serve you well for years. I have had mine since the early 80s. Hardly seems worth it to fabricate one.

Comment

The caps over my screws were loose and would have been removeable with a scratch awl. Drill lightly in any case. They come out easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Astra625
                  Any idea on how i can make a carb sync?
                  Just toss it overboard!

SV

Comment

my dumb 2 cents worth-- can someone tell me exactly what the carb synchronizer will do?
                    i'm facing needing to do this also and am wondering what i am going to be looking for.

Comment

A carb synchronizer is just a vacuum guage that allow you to hook a plastic tube to the fitting on each carb. When the bike is running, air is inducted ithrough the carbs causing a vacuum. The guage tells you how much vacuum you have on each car. You then adjust the carbs so that each one is drawing the same amount of vacuum. One way to think of it is vacuum is velocity and fuel flow or the siphon effect of it through the carb controls the mixture being burned in each cylinder. Its just a tool for being able to adjust all four cylinders to run with the same fuel to air mixture. Sound more complicated than it really is. :-) You can do it., no doubt about it.

Earl

Originally posted by suziq
                      my dumb 2 cents worth-- can someone tell me exactly what the carb synchronizer will do?
                      i'm facing needing to do this also and am wondering what i am going to be looking for.
                      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                      X