1985 GS550E: Can't seem to get the bike running past 35 MPH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 GS550E: Can't seem to get the bike running past 35 MPH

I'd been trying to figure out what's the cause why I can't go past 35 MPH. The bike hadn't been running for 4 years, the gas in the carb gummed so I cleaned everything (both carbs), emptied the gas tank, cleaned the jets. Now the bike runs, but only up to 35 MPH. Any suggestion as to what's the culprit? Thanks for your help.

If you fully cleaned the carbs, and reassembled them as described on this site, there should be no problem. 35 MPH sounds like a midrange problem, so I would suspect the needle jet is not fully cleaned, or the jet needle is too low. Also check the float height for fuel starvation. The main jet may also be reducing flow at these RPM.

This bike should have electronic ignition; but you might wish to check hte voltage at higher idle to ensure that there is enough voltage to the coils at higher RPM to get a solid spark

SV

Comment

Where are your mixture screws set? How many turns out? You might be too lean or too rich to make the transition to the needles. Are your slides free, do they move up and down easily? What happens when you blip the throttle, what is the throttle response like?

Comment

Okay, I will have to remove the carbs again and make sure that the jets are cleaned as per the description on this site. Will also make sure that the mixture screws are set properly.
        Regarding the float level (since I will be replacing the float), is there any particular float level adjustment? Sorry but the manual I ordered has not arrived yet. Really appreciate your valuable help. I'm just so glad there is this site with very helpful members. Thanks guys.

Comment

My bike did the same thing. Make sure you have the correct main jet sizes if the exhaust is stock. I put mine back to factory specs and it solved the blubbering problem above 35-40 MPH. The inners should #102.5 and the outers should be #95 or #97.5.

Comment

Working...
          X