Starting in Cold Weather. Plugs vs. Volts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting in Cold Weather. Plugs vs. Volts

Recently I have not been able to start my bike (82 GS 450T, purchased 3 weeks ago). It sat for 2 days and the weather has gotten cooler. Usually if I haven't ridden in a day or two, I need to close the choke and let it warm up and then it just goes. Once it has run for an hour, I can open the choke all the way. My thought is that the spark is not hot enough. My question is, is it the plugs or the plug cables, or deeper in the electircal system? I have not yet looked at the plugs, but I'm guessing they're going to look dark. My hope is is that it is just the plugs or even the gap. I know the previous owner had a habit of swapping out plugs regularly in this situation, but may not have minded the gap. I'm hoping it is just as simple as the gap being too far off. Any thoughts / advice?

You definately should not be running your bike on choke for an hour. Your carbs probably need a really good cleaning and adjustment.

Randy

Comment

Check the voltage at the coils, it should be around 12. Go ahead and gap your plugs.

I think you'll find that your problem is dirty carbs though, take em off and give them a good cleaning.

Comment

Sorry, let me clear it up. I start at full choke. I let it warm up, after a minute or so it revs right up. Then opperate between 1/2 and 1/4 choke, then full off once it really heats up. However, that is not to say that the rest of the bike does not need closer inspection !

Comment

Also, I had it to an idle yesterday. But, when I gave it just the slightest ammount of throttle, it would douse the combustion.

Comment

Originally posted by chipazzo
            Also, I had it to an idle yesterday. But, when I gave it just the slightest ammount of throttle, it would douse the combustion.
            All of this points towards a carb that needs cleaning, you are probably running really lean right now, so, to save your engine, clean them carbs asap.

Comment

Working...
            X