My 450L thinks she is a Harley!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 450L thinks she is a Harley!

Several weeks back I asked about a small engine oil leak at the rate of about a drop or 2 every time you shut down the engine and was told not to worry about a leak that small. Well now she leaks like a Harley! The entire underside is coated and while running and after running she leaks pretty good from inside the clutch/countershaft cover. I had it off to put a new one on and realized that the only reason I was seeing a drop or two at a time was because it was congealing inside the cover. Well with the new cover on it all goes on the the gound. I will get a better chance to look at it this evening, but what seals are there to leak from? The countershaft I am guess, but it doesn't look like it is coming from that high up. My Haynes manual doesn't give me a list of seals or location. Is there one in the clutch disengagement rod? Help!! Next thing you know she will want an open exhuast and maltesse mirror!! 8O :roll:

I'm confused, is it leaking from the clutch cover? Or at the crank? Because if it is leaking from the clutch cover, then it should just be the cover gasket- the whole clutch is in an oil bath- a wet clutch. If it is leaking at the crank, then is it the stator cover or the ignition cover. I'm not sure what you mean by a countershaft cover. Maybe the transmission?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Sorry, I don't know all the correct terms for all the covers yet. LH side, cover which the shift lever goes through and the clutch cable threads into. Does that help?

Comment

The seals I can think of in there are the countershaft, clutch push rod, and shift lever.

Comment

If the bike was wever dropped onthe left side, it is possible that the clutch shaft damaged the seal ( or it is just old & creaky) and needs replacing. Not a tough job, though a little frustrating getting the old seal out!

SV

Comment

their is a seal on the pushrod that operates the clutch EASY to replace

Comment

Hey my Harley doesn't leak
              1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
              1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
              1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
              1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
              01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

You have to put oil in it first ;P

Comment

I think it is the clutch rod seal, that seems to be where it is originating from. Is that a specaily seal or is it just an o-ring? I ahave a very good assortment of o-ring in stock in our shop, but will ahve to order from the Suzuki delaer if it is a specialty seal Thanks for all the help guys!!

Comment

Looks a bit unlike an O-ring, prolly have to order it.
                    Part 20 there--->

Comment

Save yourself alot of trouble and do all three seals at the same time. I did all three; clutch rod, shift shaft and countershaft last year on the 450L I had at the time. Get them ordered and have at it! You may find the old seals are the flanged type. They have a steel flange or lip all the way around the outer edge and were installed as the engine was assembled. You have to be a little mean and nasty taking them out , however the non-flanged seal will replace them. Take your time installing the countershaft seal. I had to re-do mine, it has a rubber outer-shell which is easily damaged by the sharp edges on the engine case. Use some fine emory cloth to ease the edge and then use a liberal application of your favorite lube. Good luck Dave J

Comment

Working...
                      X