Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do when your chain wears out before your sprockets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do when your chain wears out before your sprockets?

Just wondering.........

I know everyone says to change chain and sprockets together, but my question is this -

What if you use a cheap chain, and it wears out before the sprockets do?

I've went through 2 chains this season, both were 25 dollar Takasago??? chains, but my sprockets look just as good as they did at the beginning of the season (about 7,000 miles ago).

Conversely.... I have heard some cases of a good quality o-ring chain actually out-living the sprockets!!!! Anybody ever had that happen?

Chad
    Columbus, OH 1978 GS550E

If you've put 7k miles on the sprocket set and have already gone through two chains then I would feel safe to advise you to replace the sprockets before putting on another $25 chain. The last 530 o-ring chain and sprockets I put on my 7/11 was around $150 and I expect it to last 15k.

I know it's tempting and I've had to do as you because of extenuating circumstances, but I believe it's a bad value in the long run. As far as an o-ring chain lasting longer than the sprockets....how would you tell which is worn out more?

Comment

Hate to say it but cheap chains really aren't cheap. Expensive chains are actually your best buy. My old FZ750 took the 530 chain and I always used top quality Tsubaka chains and changed the sprockets at the same time. The FZ put out around 100HP, was riden hard and occasionally raced. The chain and sprockets would consistently last 30,000 KMs (about 20,000 miles) and weren't really that bad when I had to change them. Keep the chain adjusted, properly lubed, and keep it CLEAN. O-ring chains don't require a lot of lube, most people seem over lube O-ring chains. A lot of chain lubes only collect dirt and crud that deteriorate the O-rings and make cleaning difficult as well as making a slimy mess out of your rear wheel. After using many different brands of chain lube I settled on using a small amount Hypoid gear oil, applied when the chain was hot with a small squeeze bottle I kept under the seat and just wiped off the excess. With this method the chain and rear wheel stayed quite clean and the O-rings stayed nice and shiny. All you are really doing when you lube an O-ring chain is providing some lubrication between the O-rings and side plates. The main chain lubricant is actually behind the O-ring and if the O-rings get damaged then you get rapid chain wear. My current low mileage GS1000 which uses the 630 chain currently has 20,000 miles on the original chain and sprockets and they are still in great condition.
      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
      https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

my GS750e still has the factory chain at 26k, but I'm replacing it shortly. i'd like to do a 530 mod, but i'm not sure if i want to

Comment

I don't change a sprocket, regardless of miles, unless I can see too much wear. I have a new sprocket that I use for comparing. I have over 120,000 miles on my bike and I'm still on the 3rd set of sprockets. My chains average around 20,000 miles before they stretch too much.
          I like DID and Tsubaki chains and genuine Suzuki or Sunstar sprockets. The best lube I've found is Maxima Chain Wax.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Been there done that, as long as you're using cheap chains they're going to stretch and wear out long before the sprockets. Just keep an eye on the sprockets. It's no big deal to go through chains, just a fact of riding life.

Take it Easy,
            Trail Rider

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
              I don't change a sprocket, regardless of miles, unless I can see too much wear. I have a new sprocket that I use for comparing. I have over 120,000 miles on my bike and I'm still on the 3rd set of sprockets. My chains average around 20,000 miles before they stretch too much.
              I like DID and Tsubaki chains and genuine Suzuki or Sunstar sprockets. The best lube I've found is Maxima Chain Wax.
              Sounds like you're doing pretty good with your chain/sprocket life. About two chains per sprocket set. In the past I've always changed sprockets at the same time as the chain at about 20,000 miles also, probably a little overkill but I've found the second chain would wear a little faster without the new sprocket and the fact that the sprockets were generally cheaper than chains that's the method I used. What I've seen though, is that most people don't change their chain soon enough and by that time the sprockets are ruined. If you can get that chain replaced a little early like I'm sure Keith does you can quite often save a set of sprockets.
              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
              https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Working...
              X