More oil cooler questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More oil cooler questions

Well, I have to start a new thread. The old one disappeared.

I have a 83 GS850GL. I have added the adapter which replaced the pressure switch housing and an oil cooler(Thanks Hap!). When I started the bike and let it warm up, everything was fine till I let it idle. Once it was idling, the oil light came on.

The adapter is set up so that a new oil pressure switch elbows off the left side of the adapter. Oil now flows up into the area where the pressure switch used to be, and can now go left to the switch and right to the outlet for the cooler. A mechanic buddy of mine thinks I need a restrictor to limit the amount of oil going to the cooler. The hoses are 3/8" id. I was thinking of cutting a piece of 3/8" aluminum stock, drilling a hole through the middle, pushing the aluminum in the hose where it clamps onto the adapter outlet, and placing a hose clamp around the hose to hold the aluminum in place. My only problem is how big should I make the channel through the aluminum. I want it to be big enough to allow oil to go to the cooler, but small enough to keep sufficient pressure in the engine.

I have sent email to the manufacturer of the kit. They are trying to get the information on the kit for me, but I may go ahead and install my homemade fix so I can get my bike back on the road.

Well folks, I got home from work early enough taht I called the tech rep at Hayden taht I had been emailing. We talked about the kit I had. He had not found the book with the paperwork for the kit, but he would keep looking and send me a copy when he found it. He vaugly remembered that there was a mylar disk which was placed inbetween the kits adapter and the crankcase. We discussed my idea of the "in-hose" restrictor. He said it should work, and function in the same manner as the mylar disk. He wasn't sure about the diameter the channel through the aluminum, and that I would ahve to experiment with it to see what it needed to be.

Comment

that sounds like the way my cooler hooks up, (behind the cylenders, below the carbs) it was on the bike when I got it.
      I can check to see what it has for a restricter IE: size of the hole.

Comment

Brandon, that cooler and fitting came with the oil thermostat...that may have been what was used as the restriction to keep pressure up. I have not been able to find that thermostat (too many moves in college and too many beers ago) and I don't think that I ever got a myler restrictor...17 years has past since then but I just cannot recall the restrictor.

Hap

Comment

if you are set on using the aluminim stock then remember that most solid lines that are connected by hoses usually have a furrel or some sort of ridge on each end.. It may slip out even though you have hose clamps on it. I had suggested that you use the much less glamorous idea of a short steel line with the ends flared and a crimp in the middle--the steel line would be adjustable by simply applying more pressure to the crimp with a set of vise grips--Its just Genoa Salami thinking but it would work and also solve the flared end connection problem--If you can have one cut on a lathe then you could have the ends flared a bit but still would hve to take it off to change the size of rhe restriction.
          When i adapted my honda oil cooler, i set the bike on fire twice because the oil lines came off and then after my camping trip, I went to the mechanic to find out why i was having engine miss in light rain. When he started the bike in his lot the line popped off again and gave everyone a bath.. I took the bike home and flared the steel lines on the oil cooler and 2000 miles later not even seeping oil and definitely no hose movement.

Comment

A new twist on the same old question

I know that I saw on an older post that it was recommended changing over to the 1150 oil filter cover. I remember that if you put an oil cooler on a 1100 without this cover change-out ,that you could starve your top-end of oil? Does anyone out there experienced this or heard of it. I recently installed a Derale cooler on my 83 GS1100E and don't want to kill my engine.
            Nice to have you back SCOTTY
            Doug
            __________________________________________________ ___________
            83 GS1100E(yes,still in the shop),76 GT250A(keeping me sane daily)
            Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
            2000 Kawasaki Concours
            Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Hey everyone,
              Well, I haven't had a chance to do anything just yet. My son just turned one on Saturday, and I didn't have a chance to work on the bike like I expected(too many house guests camping in my livingroom and basement). Isnt' that the way it always goes.

Hap,
              I think you may be right. The tech rep at Hayden was sure that one of the kits came with a restrictor disk. If there was one, maybe it was in the thermostat. He couldn't remember the exact location where it went. I thought maybe it went somewhere between the adapter and the crankcase. I suggested my idea. He said it was possible, but when he said it was only about the size of a dime, I don't think it went into the adapter. If it did not come with one, the the thermostat probably was used as the restrictor. Hayden is still going to send me the paperwork for the kit. I am hoping they find it soon. I am anxious to get my bike back on the road. If I don't hear anything from them in the next few days, I will definitely go ahead with the in-line restrictor. I will probably put a thermostat on this fall when the weather starts cooling down.

Scotty,
              I have a friend that works at a machine shop. I will have him turn the aluminum so that it has some sort of ridge on each end to hold the hose on when it is clamped.

Comment

Brandon
                You would have died laughing if you saw me trying to blow the fire out. When i finally came to mt senses i grabbed a rag and beat it out> fortunately I only had to polish the aluminum headder..I was paranoid for weeks after that and would look under the bike every time i stopped. It didnt prevent it from happening again till i flared the steel lines. I just rememberd that when I first made the installation, I had a brass ball valve in the line thinking that i could adjust the flow in the winter. the hole in the valve was abiut 1/2 or less than the size of the oil line. I only used it because i coudnt find the size i needed.
                WHAT I AM GETTING AT IS THIS. Well first of all I did the mod with the oil filter cover adapter and not as you are doing it. but i found that the engine was a bit too cool even when warmed up and was afraid that i would not be boiling off any water vapor. so a restriction could easily cause too much cooling. When i removed the valve altogether, the engine oil ran about 10 degrees warmer. It is perfect as far as i can see now. My next problem is to make a simple cover for the oil cooler when the weather in florida get a bit cooler. Ill be hunting for ideas at that time..right now if it aint broke i will not try and fix it

Comment

I ahve the yoshimura full flow adaptor on my 78 GS1000. All the oil goes through the cooler then back to the pressure swith to continue on its original path. If your adaptor is partial flow, a restrictor would be necessary to stop too much oil being diverted to the cooler.

Comment

Working...
                  X