Winterizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winterizing

Up here in the great frozen north it is sadly time to think about storing the GS for the winter.
    Last year I completely drained the gas tank and the carbs and had no problems, but I was wondering if it would just be easier to throw some gas stabilizer in, run 'er through, and forget about it. Which method would be preferable ? THANKS!

storage

I would fill it up and use the stablizer, an empty tank will rust

Comment

Thanks, I spray the inside of the tank with WD 40 to prevent corrosion, but a mechanic once told me that stabilizer gradually breaks down after a couple of months and that the gasoline loses octane. Truth or BS
      Thanks

Comment

I've used StaBil stabilizer in my motorcycle, boat, lawn mowers, snowmobiles and outboard motors. Have not had a single bit of trouble in the spring or fall starting things up. No gummy carbs or tanks.
        With the bike, when I think that the riding year is coming to an end, I put stabilizer in the gas for the last few rides to make sure that it gets to the carbs. I top off the tank and put her away. Like I said, no problems whatsoever.
        1982 GS1100GLZ Sold but still loved
        2008 Bandit 1250 Crashed (cager on a cell phone)
        2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

I got this link from someone when I posted a question earlier about winter storage:

It's extremly helpful.

Cheers,
          Jeff

Comment

I had Stabil in my 70 gallon boat tank for three years without using the boat. Fired right up and ran great after that time. I've always been successful with Stabil gas treatment with my boats and motorcycle.

Comment

I agree ... always had good luck with Stabil in my boat and other engines.

But winterize the bike? What's that all about? I will be riding this December in the Toys For Tots ride ... doesn't everybody?

Steve 8)

Comment

O.K. stabilizer it is, thanks for the input.

Toys for Tots (Santa's Anonymous) here was Sun 26th Sept, and was a great run, except for the Hardly Ablesons at the front of the pack holding us up.

Comment

Gas in a large amount will go for a long time without anything. Gas in a small amount, like in the carbs will go bad in a short time. So fill your tank and drain your carbs, and you're all set. I don't really winterize my bike much at all though, I end up riding about once a month during the winter months on nice days.

Stabil will work fine too, but when you're burning that tank in the spring don't be surprised if she doesn't run quite right. Run the tank thru put some fresh gas in, and she'll run like she's supposed to.

Comment

you will not need to drain the carb, if you run the bike onec a week till the motor is warm.

every fall I use a 5 gal gas can. put Stabil in and fill up all the gas tanks bike and lawn mower. for the bike i drain the old gas into the truck then add the fuel + Stabil. if i ride during the fall/spring time I add new gas and Stabil befor putting it to bed.

never had a problem, but i also put a few hundred miles on the bike riding around town in the winter months.

Comment

Working...
                    X