Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help: Tank Properties

Greetings Folks,

I'm rebuilding the tank on my 81 GS850GL. I'd like to modify the tank to eliminate the fuel sensor, and have a different gas cap on it. I've seen some weld-in bungs and gas caps available for racing applications, and a few different flush gas caps and bungs available through Dennis Kirk and other places. Now the big question I have is this:

Is the tank a pressurized tank, or does the stock gas cap have a vent? It does not appear as the aftermarket flush caps have a vent.

Also, the petcock is totally frozen, and should be replaced. It looks like there are two lines coming from it. One going in, and one coming out?

If anyone here could counsel me on this a little I woudl be very greatful. I'd like a flush-mount cap, but obviously not if its going to keep it from running correctly. Has anyone here been through this?

The gas cap should be vented, so no, the tank is not pressurized.

The stock petcock has two lines one is the fuel line, the other is the vaccum line. The vaccum line operates a small plunger in the petcock to only allow fuel to flow when the engine is running.

The sending unit has a long drain line that is intended to drain fuel away from the hot engine in the case the sending unit gasket fails.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Re: Need Help: Tank Properties

Originally posted by Jeff Higgins
      Is the tank a pressurized tank, or does the stock gas cap have a vent? It does not appear as the aftermarket flush caps have a vent.
      I'm pretty sure the gas cap is vented, but if you're already going to be welding, you could probably put another vent in. I know the 1150, and 700 both have a vent on the underside of the tank.

Originally posted by Jeff Higgins
      Also, the petcock is totally frozen, and should be replaced. It looks like there are two lines coming from it. One going in, and one coming out?
      The larger one is the fuel line, the smaller is a vacuum line, it operates the petcock turning it on when the engine is running, off when it's not.

Comment

You fellas rock! Thanks for that. Now riddle me this...

Can a standard reserve-type petcock be fitted and the vaccum line be ditched?

Comment

A Pingle petcock seems to be the way to go. Here's a thread I found on a quick search:

Dave

Comment

I put the Pingle on a few weeks ago. Works great, looks great.

I got the plain version from Shnitz Racing (not sure of spelling) for $52 IIRC. Plus you'll need an adapter plate. No more vacuum hoses to mess with, just turn on or off or go to reserve.

Comment

The first thing I do to any bike is put a Pingle petcock on it. Turn it on when you want to ride, turn it off when you shut the bike off. No more leaking needles, no more fuel in the crankcase oil, no more drips. No vacuum and diaphram to worry with. Done forever.

Earl

Originally posted by BillC
              I put the Pingle on a few weeks ago. Works great, looks great.

I got the plain version from Shnitz Racing (not sure of spelling) for $52 IIRC. Plus you'll need an adapter plate. No more vacuum hoses to mess with, just turn on or off or go to reserve.
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

what are the symptoms of leaking needles?

Comment

Working...
                X