Another Brake Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Brake Question

Tryin to stop the very load and annoying squeal from my back drum brakes. The shoes look fine, the drum doesn't need to be turned. The shoes only sit on 2 little nubs to keep them level. Where else would the squeal be coming from?? I am embarrased to brake because it's loud. Oh yeah, it's a '81 GS450L

Rock on

How old are the brake shoes and have they sat for a long time without use? They just be glazed over. I'm sure there's some commercial product out there but I've always used sandpaper to remove the glaze and get to a fresh surface.

Comment

Thanks for the tip.....I never even thought of that.

Comment

if it keeps squealing even after you sanded them, try putting a small amount of copper paste on the back of the braking pads. usually works.

Comment

Where would I put the paste on the brake shoes. These are drum brakes.

Comment

I worked brakes for several years professionally and all my life on my own vehicles, car or bike dont mater physics the same.
            Put a SLIGHT dab of grease on all parts that touch each other. especially metal to metal but springs, covers, and shields can cause squeeks too.
            be sure NOT to get any on the linings or on a place it can GET to the linings from use. Include where the edges of the shoes touch the housing alignment tabs.

Stimpy

Comment

thanks!!

Comment

Working...
              X