Only firing on 3 cylinders when choke is on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only firing on 3 cylinders when choke is on

It's a 1983 GS1100E and when I first start it up with the choke on, #2 cyliner doesn't fire (pipe is cool to the touch). Once it's warmed up and I take the choke off, it starts firing and runs fine. Any ideas? I'm guessing that it could be a blocked choke circuit in the carbs. I'vebeen through them several times and cleaned them well and still no luck.

Re: Only firing on 3 cylinders when choke is on

Inside your float bowl, in one corner, you will see a long vertical brass tube aprox 1/8" in diameter x 1" long. That is the choke pick up tube. There should be a small hole (aprox 15 thou diameter) in the bottom end of that tube.

Earl

Originally posted by CDNBandit
    It's a 1983 GS1100E and when I first start it up with the choke on, #2 cyliner doesn't fire (pipe is cool to the touch). Once it's warmed up and I take the choke off, it starts firing and runs fine. Any ideas? I'm guessing that it could be a blocked choke circuit in the carbs. I'vebeen through them several times and cleaned them well and still no luck.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Re: Only firing on 3 cylinders when choke is on

Originally posted by earlfor
      Inside your float bowl, in one corner, you will see a long vertical brass tube aprox 1/8" in diameter x 1" long. That is the choke pick up tube. There should be a small hole (aprox 15 thou diameter) in the bottom end of that tube.

Earl
      Had the same problem, it was the tube Earl described that was blocked, cleaned it with compressed air and the bike started on all cylinders again.

BTW:

If you have not checked the spark plugs, that could be a good idea to start with.

Comment

I agree with Karl and Earl, that little tube is a real pain to get cleaned good.

Comment

Working...
        X