Should I replace stator/RR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I replace stator/RR?

When the good weather heads south for the winter I want to get some stuff done on my '83 GS1100E. Changes or things to fix include; new braided brake hoses and pads, carb tuning and synch, new chain and sprockets, and a lot of general maintenance and small repairs. I see where a lot of people have changed the stator and regulator-rectifier for upgraded items. Mine seems to work fine. The bike only has 18 thousand miles on it. I would be interested in people's opinions. Should I change it or not?

Re: Should I replace stator/RR?

Perhaps now is a opportune time to recite the 1st rule of wrenching. It it isnt broke, dont fix it. There is no guarantee that a new one will last any longer than a properly functioning old one. Ahhh, ummmm, errr, thats a NO!!!
    NO stator for you! :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Fred Streed
    When the good weather heads south for the winter I want to get some stuff done on my '83 GS1100E. Changes or things to fix include; new braided brake hoses and pads, carb tuning and synch, new chain and sprockets, and a lot of general maintenance and small repairs. I see where a lot of people have changed the stator and regulator-rectifier for upgraded items. Mine seems to work fine. The bike only has 18 thousand miles on it. I would be interested in people's opinions. Should I change it or not?
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks Earl. I guess that is the answer I wanted to hear. The brakes need replacing, they are old enough to vote. The chain and sprockets are due. Few other things need fixed, such as the horn, gas gauge, stuff like that. I had thought about painting it but don't think I will at this time. One of the neat things about this bike is that I don't have much into it. After years of riding Harleys I almost feel guilty.

Comment

Yeah, isnt it great. You can buy the GS, get it all fixed up and fresh and be out riding for less money than a chrome trim ring for a headlight on a HD would cost you. :-) :-) Well, if you feel real guilty, take the extra money and save some more GS's. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Fred Streed
        Thanks Earl. I guess that is the answer I wanted to hear. The brakes need replacing, they are old enough to vote. The chain and sprockets are due. Few other things need fixed, such as the horn, gas gauge, stuff like that. I had thought about painting it but don't think I will at this time. One of the neat things about this bike is that I don't have much into it. After years of riding Harleys I almost feel guilty.
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

The only thing I would do is add another ground wire from the reg/rect case mounting bolt to the battery (-) terminal It insures a longer life for the electrics

Comment

R/R

I would also check the R/R connecters for any burning or corrosion and hardness if any redo them, mine where brown at the butts I redid them added a ground and my voltage went up 15%

Comment

As far as the stator, just check for continuity between each of the three wires, that's the basic check to see if it's good. If it's good, don't replace it.

I agree with adding better grounds. Once that's done, just check to see if there's a little over 14 volts with the bike running. That tells you the R/R is good.

Comment

Working...
              X