X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb help

ok.
    here's the saga.

i had the bike sitting in the garage for about 2 yrs until we got it into the shop and had it fixed.
    i got it out last week.
    it ran great.
    then after about the first 100 miles it started to develop a small (or so i thought) drip on the underside of the carburetors.
    my mechanic told me to turn off the fuel on the last mile of the ride and then ride it the rest of the way home.
    i did this.
    then i took it to work this morning, happy as a lark, because after the last action, there seemed to be no fuel leaking.
    i ran out of gas on the way to work.
    while the above issue happened, it drained a nearly full gas tank through the course of an 8 hour day.
    i got it home tonight, put some gas in the tank, and it started right up.
    because of some other issues, i had to take off the tank.
    i cleaned it out as best i could by sloshing some gas in the empty tank to remove whatever debris i could.
    i took off the petcock and cleaned it with carburetor cleaner.
    i put it all back together, including the lines and what not.
    i put more gas in the tank and started it.
    it starts ok and seems to idle ok.
    but there are now the little bits of fuel on the bottom of the carburetor again.

any advice on what i am looking at and what i am going to need to do toresolve this?

as of now the tank is drained and off.

tank

what Iam wondering is where did the full tank drain to? the ground or the crankcase?

Comment

Re: carb help

Suz
      Your fuel petcock is faulty. That is for sure. If the petcock was shutting off fuel as it should, even if there were leaks/faults downstream from it, there would be no fuel dripping because none would be available. Replace the petcock, that will solve the problem.

With that much gas draining, I think it would be safe to assume a healthy amount would have made its way into the crankcase oil. I would replace the petcock and change the oil and filter.

Earl

[quote="suziq"]ok.
      it drained a nearly full gas tank through the course of an 8 hour day.
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

i am almost positive it was on the ground. there is noticeable leakage on the very bottom of the carburetors, and there was a pretty decent puddle under it the day that i took it to work and this started.
        should i be draining the oil in the process here? if so and there is fuel in it, how an i going to be able to tell? just by smelling?

Comment

Re: tank

Originally posted by Gee-s-is
          what Iam wondering is where did the full tank drain to? the ground or the crankcase?
          \
          Ditto, check your oil level, if it didn't go to the gorund and puddle, it's gotta be in you MOTOR, that = BAD, do not drive

If it is in the MOTOR, drain the oil, refill with fresh oil, then get the petcock rebuild kit before putting gas back in it.

You will thank yourself later.

Running a motor with gas in the Oil, washes the bearings out, NOT a good thing.

Comment

ok then whether or not it actually needs it, the first thing i am going to do is tackle the oil.

my hubby thinks i am crazy, i am calling him 6 and 7 times a day (he's in guam) and freaking him out. he knows i've never touched these things before and here we go. i think he knows that i'm smart enough that if i start it i can figure out how to take things apart.

he's wondering why this is happening when he's not here.

and he's supposed to me the mechanic eh?!?

Comment

With the bike on the centerstand.

On the right side of the transmission, on top, there is a small twist cap. That is the oil fill. Below that , on the side of the transmission, you will see a small, round window. At the top edge of the window in the metal, and at the bottom edge of the window in the metal, you will see a line cast into the aluminum. The top line is the full line, the bottom line is the low level line. Normally, you will see an airspace above the oil level in the window.
              If gas has filled the crankcase, you will see only oil. It will appear overfull.
              Also, unscrew the fill cap, stick your nose in it and sniff. The smell of gas is unmistakable.

The oil drain plug is underneath the transmission. After draining it into a pan, look at the front, bottom of the engine between the two middle exhaust pipes. You will see a round cover that is held in place with small acorn nuts. The oil filter is underneath that cover. The cover has a small diameter "O" ring pressed into a grove inside the cap that provides an oil seal when reinstalled. It is reusable. The small acorn nuts shold not be tightened more than what you could tighten with a nutdriver. The small bolts strip easily. A light touch is needed when reinstalling the cover.
              Only enough tightening is required so as to compress the rubber seal inside. The cover has a spring inside that holds the filter in place. You will need to hold the cover down with a couple of fingers with your left hand while threading the nuts on the studs with your right hand. A new filter should not cost more than $3-$5. Castrol 20w50 can be had at the local walmart for about $1.25 qt. You will not need more than 4 quarts even with a filter change. The oil capacity is marked on the oil fill cap in milliliters. I dont believe that capacity includes changing the filter though.

The oil drain plug is recessed, so you will need a socket and ratchet to remove it.

Be sure you have reinstalled the oil drain plug before putting the new oil in the engine. :-) :-) Snug the oil drain plug down. It threads into aluminum and an oh my god tight is not required.

Earl

Originally posted by suziq
              ok then whether or not it actually needs it, the first thing i am going to do is tackle the oil.

my hubby thinks i am crazy, i am calling him 6 and 7 times a day (he's in guam) and freaking him out. he knows i've never touched these things before and here we go. i think he knows that i'm smart enough that if i start it i can figure out how to take things apart.

he's wondering why this is happening when he's not here.

and he's supposed to me the mechanic eh?!?

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

there is DEFINITELY fuel in the oil
                tackling that ASAP

Comment

Well, there certainly isnt any surprise in THAT short story. LOL :-) :-)
                  Give a yell if you have any puzzles.
                  Earl

there is DEFINITELY fuel in the oil
                  tackling that ASAP

Comment

is this going to do major damage to the engine from sitting for 48 hrs or so if i haven't cranked the engine since then?

Comment

Naw Suz, sitting there isnt going to hurt anything. Just dont run the engine with gas in the oil. Take yer time.

Earl

is this going to do major damage to the engine from sitting for 48 hrs or so if i haven't cranked the engine since then?

Comment

Working...
                      X