Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does bad crank bearings sound like on an 1100ed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does bad crank bearings sound like on an 1100ed?

Guys I think the crank bearings finally let go on my 83 1100. What does this sound like? The noise I'm hearing progressed for a low whining to a very loud whining sound. The bottom end has 52,000 miles(hard miles too) on her. I just had to blow my brother away on his new big dog harley, just because I could. But any way the bike started getting harder to start a few weeks ago when the whing started. Then it progressed till the other day. I haven't tore into her yet but I'm guessing at this point thats what it is. What does it sound like when you lose the timing chain guide the they say goes out? Has anyone had this happen?

Re: What does bad crank bearings sound like on an 1100ed?

I cant tell you what it WOULD sound like, but I can tell you the crank bearings and cam chain in my 1150 do not make enough sound to be heard.

Earl

Originally posted by sexton7z
    Guys I think the crank bearings finally let go on my 83 1100. What does this sound like? The noise I'm hearing progressed for a low whining to a very loud whining sound. The bottom end has 52,000 miles(hard miles too) on her. I just had to blow my brother away on his new big dog harley, just because I could. But any way the bike started getting harder to start a few weeks ago when the whing started. Then it progressed till the other day. I haven't tore into her yet but I'm guessing at this point thats what it is. What does it sound like when you lose the timing chain guide the they say goes out? Has anyone had this happen?
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Starter gear hanging up maybe?

Comment

Or a loose rotor or starter clutch? Also, a loose nut on the countershaft sprocket, allowing the sprocket to shimmy, will make a lot of noise.

Earl

Originally posted by propflux01
        Starter gear hanging up maybe?
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Crankk bearings in the big GSs' last a looooong time. I'd be surprised to hear they went before 100k miles.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I'll tear into her this weekend, as far as the starter clutch and so on I'll check that out and the counter shaft nut. My brothers bike did the same thing till he sheared the bolts off of the starter gear and this bike is still not on the road, even after we replaced the starter gear and clutch. How about a stator going bad, do they ever give off a noise. The whining sounds like the sound you get when you mix bad spark plug wires and nonresistor plugs coming threw your radio in your car. Its really weird because sometimes it was really loud then other times you couldn't even here it at all. I started it yesterday and I heard it as soon as it fired up. What about the rear cam chain tensioner. Has any body had this screw up on them

Comment

What about the rear cam chain tensioner. Has any body had this screw up on them
              Oh yeah, they can be suspect. Lot's of people replace them with manual units rather than the fancy over-engineered ones on our bikes. I'm looking for one myself. Could be the cam chain guides themselves- they wear out.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

CHECK the starter clutch first That is more likley to be your problem than the crank

Comment

Working...
                X