Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

two n00b questions

i recently acquired a 79 gs750e

i needed to replace the points, but when i took off the cover, i noticed two hairline cracks. when i went to replacing the cover, taking care to crisscross the bolts, it cracked-- anyone know a good place to get a replacement?

and 2--- i was looking at the motor, and for the life of me, i can't find the drain plug for the engine oil. i can see the filter housing pretty obviously, but not the plug.

i found part no 477187-001 @bikebandit for $40

thanks

1) you could probably get a points cover off of Ebay, or more then likley from a motorcycle wreckers.

2) The main drain bold is on the under side of the tranny, almost in the center. I'm not sure about yours, but the 550's also have a second drain bolt on the oil filter housing at the bottom. But that's just to drain the oil from the filter.

Comment

The oil drain plug is underneath in the middle of the oil pan. There isnt any oil circulation inside the points cover. Consequently, you can J.B Weld it back together if cracked and it will not hurt anything.

Earl
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

(typing with a gauze mitten..)
        thanks for the input-- i was thinknig of visiting a wrecker..

the drain plug appears to be where i was afraid it would be--- i have this weird exhause crossmember, and i think that the plug is right behind it :/

i thought of jbwelding it as a temp. fix thanks for reaffirming that it's somewhat OK

i'm gonna try a little high mileage oil to see if i can help the seepy/weepy seals a bit, it usually works in cars (i'm an auto tech, so i can kinda vouch for it) thanks again, guys

Comment

Don't over-tighten the oil drain bolt, as many have. 8 or 9 ft/lb is enough.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

thanks for the replies, now i have another question. this is my first bike, if you didn't gather from my first two questions, and as i'm teaching myself to ride it (at a park, on a dead set of streets, very carefully) i'm noticing that my gear shifts, especially from neutral to first, sound... noisyish. i don't know much about these older bikes, do they usually make sounds other than the clicking?

it's not a HIDEOUS noise, but it's just noisier than i would have expected...that's all.

the one thing i'm noticing, is that because of my height (6'5") the pegs seem to be uncomfortable..sorta. maybe i just need to get used to them-- is there a way to adjust them?

Comment

These old bikes are noisy! Don't worry so much about the noises, concentrate more on the feel.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Don,t worry about your shift into first. My gs1000 has clanked into first like an old school bus since new. At least I know it is in gear!!!

Comment

The footpegs are not adjustable. If they were, you would also need to move the gearshift and footbrake. It could be done with some fabrication.

Earl

Originally posted by m0unds

the one thing i'm noticing, is that because of my height (6'5") the pegs seem to be uncomfortable..sorta. maybe i just need to get used to them-- is there a way to adjust them?

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

yeah, i can definitely feel it shift into gear-- the rest of the gear transitions feel really smooth; i was just worried about that first shift.

thanks earl-- i found a website with some info about how someone fabricated forward positioned controls for a kawasaki ltd650-- kinda similar to a gs.

i'm loving this thing so far. just gotta do some cleanup this weekend. i've got a bit of a weep coming from the cylinder head cover gasket, so that's gonna be my focus of worry for the moment. thanks guys

any other suggestions, by the way? quirks or weird stuff i should know, but might have missed in the forums?

Comment

I have a 79 750-E, so can probably answer most anything you might run into.
                      On the 79, the factory layout used a R/R (regulator/rectifier) and a separate voltage regulator. You will find the R/R under the side cover on the left side.
                      The voltage regulator is bolted to the bottom of the battery box. To remove the carbs, you first remove the two bolts at the top of the airbox that hold the airbox in place. Looses the clamps around the carb boots at the airbox side.
                      the airbox then slides out the right side of the bike. Then the carbs can come out. to change or check the airfilter, remove the end cap on the left end of the airbox. The airfilter is in a track and slides straight out the left side.

Earl

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                        On the 79, the factory layout used a R/R (regulator/rectifier) and a separate voltage regulator. You will find the R/R under the side cover on the left side.
                        The voltage regulator is bolted to the bottom of the battery box.
                        Earl
                        A reg/rec AND another regulator? One under the battery box? My '78 had a seperate regulator and a seperate rectifier, both which were mounted under the left side cover. When one of them died, I replaced both with a reg/rec from a Honda 400 and it bolted right up to the bolt holes holes underneath the battery. There was nothing there before.
                        Kevin
                        E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                        "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                        Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Oops Kev, can we call that a brain type? LOL Same unit under the side panel, but without the regulator function. Just habit of saying R/R. Youre right. Under the side panel is the rectifier and under the battery box is the voltage regulator. Youll get old too some day. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by mcycle-nut

A reg/rec AND another regulator? One under the battery box? My '78 had a seperate regulator and a seperate rectifier, both which were mounted under the left side cover. When one of them died, I replaced both with a reg/rec from a Honda 400 and it bolted right up to the bolt holes holes underneath the battery. There was nothing there before.

Comment

now i'm realizing-- apparently, this bike has the GS750L exhaust instead of the 750E exhaust. it has this kooky little thing where the 2nd and 3rd cylinder exhaust pipes from the header get split into the two exhaust pipes, one on either side of the bike--- this little thing is in the way of the drainplug, which is why I couldn't see the darned thing. (essentially, it looks like a small iron crossmember that goes across the bottom of the oil pan.) so now, i'm having trouble getting the exhaust to slide back so I can get the drain plug out. any suggestions?

*edit* i just unbolted the exhaust for 1 and 4 from the head.

Comment

Leave both mufflers and the 1 and 4 pipes bolted up. The 2 and 3 pipes (center two pipes) cun under the transmission and fit into a slip joint on each side. Loosen the clamp on the slip joint, remove the exhaust bolts at the exhaust port on the 2 and 3 cylinders. take a rubber mallet and "whack" the cross piece forward hitting the left then right then left , etc.
                              The 2 and 3 pipes slide forward for access to the oil drain plug.

Earl

Originally posted by m0unds
                              now i'm realizing-- apparently, this bike has the GS750L exhaust instead of the 750E exhaust. it has this kooky little thing where the 2nd and 3rd cylinder exhaust pipes from the header get split into the two exhaust pipes, one on either side of the bike--- this little thing is in the way of the drainplug, which is why I couldn't see the darned thing. (essentially, it looks like a small iron crossmember that goes across the bottom of the oil pan.) so now, i'm having trouble getting the exhaust to slide back so I can get the drain plug out. any suggestions?

*edit* i just unbolted the exhaust for 1 and 4 from the head.

Comment

Working...
                              X