1982 gsx1100e choke system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 gsx1100e choke system

My bike will not run with the choke engaged when starting from cold.As the weather is warm it will start without the choke and after nursing the motor for a few minutes will pull away and run normally.I saw a post which mentions the choke pickup tube in the float bowl.I have just searched the haynes manual and cannot find a picture or any reference to it.Is it part of th float bowl or can it be removed for cleaning.?

I also found that the fuel tap would only supply fuel in the prime position
    as the vacuum line had been blanked off at the fuel tap.Where should the vacuum line connect to?.
    Thanks
    John W

The easy stuff first. The vacuum supply for the fuel tap comes from the intake port of number two cylinder (numbered one to four, from left to right as seated on the bike BTW) on the cylinder head there is a screw that is removed to fit Vacuum guages, number two normally has a hose fitted that goes to the fuel tap.
    In the floor of the float bowls there is a small hole, this supplies fuel to the choke circuit, check it is not clogged. BTW what colour are your plugs?
    Dink

Comment

I think the choke pick up is the same as the starter jet. It is a brass tube that comes out of the carb & goes down into the bottom of the float bowl. You may want to put a piece of hose on the petcock & gently suck on it, to see if the petcock is working before you go to the trouble of getting it hooked up properly. It's been unhooked for a reason. Beware, you may get fuel in your mouth if the diaphram has a hole in it

Comment

If the fuel tube to the choke is blocked in one or two carbs, the bike normally will start at three or two cylinders first and then run normal.

The tubes are normally not blocked in all carbs at the same time.

but

If all four choke tubes are blocked it maybe not will start at all....

Comment

Working...
        X