Stock tire sizes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock tire sizes?

Hey can anyone here tell me what the stock tire sizes for my 1985 550L are? It currently has a 100/90/16 on the front and a 130/90/16 on the rear. A mechanic, however, took one look at it and told me that I had the wrong size tires. :roll: Thanks guys/gals!

Re: Stock tire sizes?

I just looked up that info and the stock size front tire is a 100/90, rear is 110/90. So there isnt anything wrong with the tire sizes you have on it.
    The rear tire you have is two sizes over stock and that is about the limit due to rim width and the resultant cross section change, but its fine as is.
    Tell the mechanic to suck eggs. LOL

Earl

Originally posted by GSJoe
    Hey can anyone here tell me what the stock tire sizes for my 1985 550L are? It currently has a 100/90/16 on the front and a 130/90/16 on the rear. A mechanic, however, took one look at it and told me that I had the wrong size tires. :roll: Thanks guys/gals!
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Ok, thanks Earl!

Comment

TIRES SIZE

MY 85 GS550L HAS THE SAME SIZE TIRES YOU DO
        100/90/16 FRONT
        130/90/16 REAR
        FIT FINE

Comment

I think what he was trying to tell you is that size is not the best handeling for you bike, and he is right.
          My 650 came with a 130/90 on the back when I bought it, when you really pushed it throug corners it allways felt unshure of it self.
          Fitted a 120/80 dunlop arrowmax (yes it looks a lot smaller)Handles so much better you would not believe.
          I think we have to remember these bikes where built with a certain tyre size in mind.
          If money is a problem( and it allways is) wait untill the tyre wears out and fit the proper size you will notice the change in the first 5 mins of riding.

Comment

Hey folks sorry to dredge up this old thread of mine but wanted to update it a little bit. I finally decided to buckle down and buy new tires even though I don't have the money to (gonna have to make a few sacrifices I guess). I just can't stand not riding anymore. The itch is just too great...

Anyhow, I have decided on Cheng Shin Hi Maxs. 100/90/16 606F and 120/90/16 607R. What do ya'll think of my choice? Can I find them any cheaper than Trax Motosports?

Comment

http://www.tiresunlimited.com seems to be much cheaper, judging by the prices and brands I know.

Never mind the ugly web site -- give them a call and they will be very helpful as to what's available in your sizes and can tell you what's actually in inventory.

They are also a "real" tire store, with actual inventory, not just another of the hundreds of online middlemen.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

An auto mechanic I know told me about them. They seemed more expensive, though. Do they do price matching?

Originally posted by bwringer
                http://www.tiresunlimited.com seems to be much cheaper, judging by the prices and brands I know.

Never mind the ugly web site -- give them a call and they will be very helpful as to what's available in your sizes and can tell you what's actually in inventory.

They are also a "real" tire store, with actual inventory, not just another of the hundreds of online middlemen.

Comment

I just checked the tiresunlimited site for hi max

It looks like your front is going to cost about $38.50 and rear about $45.
                  Thats as good a deal as you will find anywhere.

Earl

An auto mechanic I know told me about them. They seemed more expensive, though. Do they do price matching?

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Yes I noticed that and then found them at Trax for $32 and $37.

Originally posted by earlfor
                    I just checked the tiresunlimited site for hi max

It looks like your front is going to cost about $38.50 and rear about $45.
                    Thats as good a deal as you will find anywhere.

Earl

Comment

Working...
                    X