Seat upholstery question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat upholstery question...

At last, my beautiful, original upholstery seat on my 1980 GS750L has a couple of very, very small cracks in it....maybe 8mm, tops..... Can I put some type of glue on the cracks to stop the spread??? Has anyone ever experienced this before? The seat seems quite supple but these two little cracks are bumming me out!!!!!

Thanks! :?
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Maybe there'd be a way of stitching it back together to keep the crack from spreading --- I'd use some heavy duty thread though, although it might not look so great if you can't get the stitches tight enough.

For me the biggest problem with cracks, wasn't the size, but how it reduces the longevity of the foam underneath because rain gets through.

Although my solution was black tape ---- not too aesthetic .

I'm really interested to see what others have done.

Satch

Comment

Have you looked for a seat cover. I paid about $60 for mine. That's not exactly cheap, but it not too bad either.

Terry

Comment

You could stich it- but it will fail.

You could tape it- but it's ugly.

You could recover it- and you'll be done with it.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

most auto parts places and wall*mart sell vinyl seat repair kits.
          but unfortunately, the little cracks you see are just the start and more will follow.
          Jethro's very well done article of recovering a seat is a good way to go.
          or you can do what I did, get a pro to do it, I paid $100us to have mine totally redone in good boat grade vinyl (resistant to UV rays).

Comment

Hi, I have a GS650->82 That the seat was cracked at the ribbing. I went to a fabric store, bought some black vinal, had a backing of white mesh. I used spray on adhesive to bond the middle of the seat & also used a thin wire on the end that bit into the spikes under the seat. Once you glue the middle down over the original foam, you use the wire to create a stop point when you spike it over the points to have a double fabric contac. Pul it tight when you do it. Looks great, but you don't have the ribbs. You could try J.C. Pennys.com For a replacement cover with the ribs. Dave

Comment

When did JC Penny's start carring MC seat covers. Maybe

Comment

Thanks..

Thanks, guys, for the great tips. Jethro....you did an AWESOME job on your seatcover replacement! It looks just great!

Comment

Thanks! There are a few things I would do different (and will, since it's easy to take off and change) so keep an eye on my post for updates. I'd recommend that Sargent seat cover for anyone. It really updates the look of the bike. Of course, some of us don't want to update the look.

I little warning if your interested in the Sargent seat cover- it's pretty slippery! When I throttle up the 1100 I gotta hold on, cause my a$$ is going to move!
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I used black magic marker until Ifind a replacement but don't tell anybody

Comment

Yeah...

Jethro...I like the "slippery feel"..I slide my bottom around and it makes me feel like a young, motorcycle racer dude.. 8)

Terrybird..I also have considered the magic marker gig..seems to make some sense!

Comment

Working...
                      X