Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

replace starter clutch bolts before they sheer or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In an old thread about "starter clutch issues" a further "upgrade was offered as well.
    This involved having a machine shop drikk both the rotor and the starter clutch for the fitment of a couple of roll pins to assist with further spreading the load.
    Opinions????
    Dink

Comment

This involved having a machine shop drikk both the rotor and the starter clutch for the fitment of a couple of roll pins to assist with further spreading the load.
      Opinions????
      If the torqueing is done correctly, then the clamping force should be sufficient to hold the rotor. In that case the pins won't do anything. If the bolts come loose, then the pins will help carry the load. They won't eliminate a failure, however. It will simply take longer to occur. For a street bike that only gets torn down every few years at most, I wouldn't bother, as you can make sure it gets assembled properly the first time and it should be trouble free from then on. For a drag bike that might get disassembled regularly it makes more sense, as a safety net if the bolts don't get tightened properly in the rush of track side work or similar panics.

Mark

Comment

Ok, so torque down and use loc-tite, I've had issues with these bolts, I think it's accurate to say they are loosening up, but I've been using loc-tite (blue), and tightening it 'pretty tight', I guess it's safe to say not tight enough. So, what is the torque spec on these bolts?

Comment

Working...
        X