Oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leak

I have an oil leak (kind of bad) it's coming form the front by the head gasket just under exhaust ports. between 2 and 3. there is an upside down bolt (where the head protrudes out a little (cam chain i guess)) is this a head gasket or is thier another possibility

ummmmmm

Seems to be the head gasket.
    Aggravation, but not terminal.
    I had to replace the 10002V headgasket last year.
    I went with a copper gasket. No leaks since.

I'm waiting for my E moedel to let go.....
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

this looks like it's beyond my capabilities. i'm guessing u have to remove cam chain, cams just to lift head off?

Comment

Yup, cylinder head gasket. Do you regurally tourqe the head bolts? That has solved me an oil leak or two. Suzuki recommends a re-tourqe of these bolts every 600 miles 8O

If you haven't tourqed them in a dogs age, it might solve your problem. If you have to take the head off it's not that bad, but yes, you gotta break the cam chain. Mine has a master link.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

yes i will try the re torque. i'll where they are. thanks

Comment

looking at the book it looks like i have to pull the cams to tighten head bolts, is that true or not

Comment

No, you should not have to pull the cams. I always re-toruqe mine while I have the valve cover off.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Cool, i'll check in the AM, already have the cover off. hope thats it or to get by for just 2 more months

Comment

clean the motor off realy good. some times the tack cable will spray or drip oil. when this happens it looks like a bad head gasket.

Comment

Oil leak

Refering to that oil leak coming from between the #2 & 3 cylinders be make sure it's not the o-ring on the cam chain tensioner lock nut. It will via the air flow run forward and show up on front of cylinder block, well it did on my GS1000.
                    1980 GS1000E

Comment

yea i can see where it's coming out i have a 82 gs11e, thier is a bolt (upside) between the 2 pipes, and its coming out the head gasket by the bolt. tried to tighten bolt and put gasket compound on the threads.lol
                      cant do a head gasket..

Comment

Re: Oil leak

It is most likely the head gasket. However, there are "O" ring seals on the studs at the base gasket. Removing the head will disturb those seals. With age, they harden and take a "set". So while you could remove just the head and replace the head gasket to solve the upper leak, you will cause a base gasket leak. You need to replace both gaskets and the "O" ring seals on the rear cylinderhead studs. You do NOT break the cam chain. It is not necessary. The cam chain tensioner is removed and then the bolts to the cam shaft caps are sequentially loosened and removed. The cams lift out and the camchain stays intact. The head comes off, then the cylinder block. You will need to know how to set up the valve timing to reassemble things. Oh yeah, the coils, carbs, tank need to be removed.
                        :-) You will need both gaskets, the four "O" rings for the rear center 4 studs and the four lorge "O" rings that fit around the base of the cylinder sleeves. Through Bikebandit, parts cost is about $100

As a temp fix...............

You might try sequentially loosening all of your head bolts AND the single upside down one at the front of the engine in front of the camchain tunnel.
                        Then retorque the 12 headbolts to 28 ft lbs. Torque them in steps of 5 lb increments each time through the pattern. The single bolt has a torque spec also. I dont remember it exactly, but if you dont have a book with the specs, I can look it up.

Earl

Originally posted by bostrom155
                        I have an oil leak (kind of bad) it's coming form the front by the head gasket just under exhaust ports. between 2 and 3. there is an upside down bolt (where the head protrudes out a little (cam chain i guess)) is this a head gasket or is thier another possibility
                        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
                        X