Rookie doing a Carb Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rookie doing a Carb Job

A question for all you carb rebuilding gurus. I am in the process of doing a re-build on the carbs of my 82 1100GL. I bought carb kits from Cycle re-Cycle. The kits came with two sets of jets (main, pilot, and air) of different size, pilot jet plug, fuel inlet needle valve and seat w/o-ring, fuel bowl gasket, a small thin rubber gasket, a rubber gasket the same diameter but twice as thick, an o-ring, and a small aluminum disk about 7mm in diameter 3mm thick with about a 1mm hole in the center, and a e-clip. The kit did not come with a needle jet or jet needle. I have been able to figure most things out using the carb cleaning series found "In The Garage."

What I am confused about it the aluminum disk, one of the rubber gaskets (one must be for the fuel bowl drain but the thin or thick?) and the o-ring (it is too big for the fuel tubes or vent "T").

Another thing I want to make sure I get right, what should be done about cleaning the slide and jet needle?

The info and knowlede found on this site are fenominal and I thank everyone for the contribution they provide, you have all made me smarter (not smart, just smarter). BTW, did you know if you do a search on the word "carb" in only the Technical Info section that there are over 2300 hits? WOW!

You have to be very carefull when replacing jets with those it generic carb kits. Make sure to compare the old ones to the new ones in the kit! IF you have any question about the ones in the kit then use the Original ones

Comment

I was able to identify the jets, they were all stamped with the numbers, so I am pretty sure that I have that right. Got one carb complete 3 more to go then get my new manifold o-rings and boots and I will be able to see what success I have.

Comment

Aluminum Disk?

Yeah, I just got the K&L carb rebuild kit form Dennis Kirk and I was also wondering what the heck that aluminum disk was!? I have been wondering whether I missed taking it out of someplaces when I disassembled my carbs, but I reviewed the carb cleanup slide on this site and there is no sign of that darn disk! Does anyone know what this is and where it is suppose to go?

Comment

The aluminum disk is used to replace the original "cap" that sets on top of the pilot screw - the carbs came from the factory with this screw pre-set and sealed (EPA regs) ... 8)

Comment

toss the aluminum disk. you don't need it like said above

-ryan
            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x
            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Thanks Guys! Another motorcyle mystery solved!

Comment

Working...
              X