Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Splitting 1150 cases without removing head. Possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Splitting 1150 cases without removing head. Possible?

I plan to do this in the coming months to get at my shift forks and change the tranny bearings as Dink suggested.

This should be possible right? I dont recall any bolts under the cylinder block that I would need to get at. Just that 3- phil plate behind the clutch hub.

Anyone ever done this? Carter
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Re: Splitting 1150 cases without removing head. Possible?

I believe Hap at this moment is doing that very thing.

Earl

Originally posted by Carter Turk
    I plan to do this in the coming months to get at my shift forks and change the tranny bearings as Dink suggested.

This should be possible right? I dont recall any bolts under the cylinder block that I would need to get at. Just that 3- phil plate behind the clutch hub.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Yes Carter I have done this!! Yes it is possible!! Remove the breather cover on the rocker cover before you roll the engine over. Be sure to remove ALL the bolts from the top before you roll it over, especially the ones under the starter motor, and the bolt near the countershaft.
      Dink

Comment

Re: Splitting 1150 cases without removing head. Possible?

Originally posted by earlfor
        I believe Hap at this moment is doing that very thing.

Earl

Originally posted by Carter Turk

I haven't done it yet..I plan on doing it after the Texas Hill Country ride. I just got the transmission last week. I will take pictures and document how I do it.

Hap

Comment

That is good news to confirm my thoughts. Thanks for the replies. Do you think there is any point in getting a heavy duty rocker arm shaft? If they even make one.

I need four bearings for the transmission? Are ceramics really needed or could I get away with next best up from stock? Thanks, Carter
          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

I fitted new Genuine to mine, and will replace them whenever the lower cases are split again.
            Dink

Comment

Working...
            X