Vin numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vin numbers

I'm trying to find out if the motor in my bike is the original or a replacement. Using the VIN how do I determine what motor it is?

Vehicle ID and engine ID's of our old bikes don't match like they do on cars. The ID stamp on the engine tells you what size it is. Unless you have the original paper/registration work for the bike to compare it to I don't know of anyway to tell if it is original. In calif BOTH #s are on the ownership papers you may be able to find out if the #s have ever been changed from motor vehicle dept

Comment

Hmmmmm Ok. How do I read the number stamped on the block?

Comment

Engine number is right above the clutch cover on top case. If your bike is 1980 or earlier I could tell you if the engine was the correct year for your bike but not if it is the original engine for that frame. Did you check your title? I think most have engine numbers included.
        Axel

Comment

Ok,
          The number stamped on the block reads: GS110X-158066
          I have an 82' GS1100E can anyone tell me if these are the correct numbers for an 82'

Thank you all for your help!
          -Peter

Comment

I have the Suzuki Motorcycle and ATV Indentification Guide which list frame and engine numbers for various model years. However from 1981 up it only gives the GS110X prefix instead of the full number. If the engine hasn't been changed you can tell by it's appearance. "82 were all silver and had black aluminum cam covers. Earlier engines were silver with chrome covers, later engines were all painted black.
            Axel

Comment

Working...
            X