First Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Bike

I am totally new to motorcycling so I need some advise. I just passed the MSF class, got my license, and bought a 1981 GS 450 L to be my first bike. It has 14k miles on and was in storage for about 8 weeks. The bike needs a little TLC so my big question is, is there anything in particular to this model of bike that I should check out while I'm getting it road ready over the winter? The previous owner took pretty good care of it, but being a 23 year old bike I am expecting something to need extra attention. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Paul
    1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
    The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Re: First Bike

Originally posted by snark
    I am totally new to motorcycling so I need some advise. I just passed the MSF class, got my license, and bought a 1981 GS 450 L to be my first bike. It has 14k miles on and was in storage for about 8 weeks. The bike needs a little TLC so my big question is, is there anything in particular to this model of bike that I should check out while I'm getting it road ready over the winter? The previous owner took pretty good care of it, but being a 23 year old bike I am expecting something to need extra attention. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Paul
    I would clean all your electrical connections...there are a lot, but go slow and take your time. The rest is normal maintenance - Change all fluids (oil and brake), check valve clearance, adjust clutch, check the spark plugs, etc. Get a shop manual and it will guide you through it all and even have a list of maintenance procedures.

You have a great little bike there. The basic motor design is still in production (GS500F) and is reliable as the rising sun if taken care of.

Hap

Comment

I bought a similar vintage bike ('80 450T) earlier this year as my first. Mine needed rear brake pads (a prior owner - not the guy I bought it from - was mortally afraid of using the front brake), new tires, and a new battery. If yours starts okay, the battery should be fine. Mine had been stored for almost a year.

These bikes are real troopers - with even minimal maintenance they'll keep on plugging.

The periodic maintenance schedules in the Clymer manual are a good place to start with inspections and adjustments. I imagine the Haines manual has similar lists.

One caveat: when you go to change the oil, be gentle with the drain plug. Several people here have stripped the threads in the pan and had to go to oversized drain plugs. The studs that hold on the oil filter cover are also easily stripped if you overtighten them. Fortunately for me I read the sad stories before doing an oil change, so I knew what to look out for. My only problem was trying to re-use an ancient O-ring on the filter cover instead of spending the $3 for a new one. (Which I ended up doing anyway. Oh, well - another excuse to visit the Suzuki shop!)

If you want the details, search the Tech forum for "stripped oil plug."

Congratulations on getting your license, well done on taking the MSF course, and welcome to the GS Resources!

Dave

Comment

I have an 82 GS450L. It was sitting for almost 10 years in the backyard before I decided to revive it. The thing that gave me the most problem was the carburetor intake boots. My bike was running horribly until I changed out the boots. Runs like a champ now. I would check the intake boots on your bike. Change the o'rings. These do flatten out and get worn out. If the rings don't seal you won't be able to tune your carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Termic
          I have an 82 GS450L. It was sitting for almost 10 years in the backyard before I decided to revive it. The thing that gave me the most problem was the carburetor intake boots. My bike was running horribly until I changed out the boots. Runs like a champ now. I would check the intake boots on your bike. Change the o'rings. These do flatten out and get worn out. If the rings don't seal you won't be able to tune your carbs.
          This is good advice for any bike that has sat for any length of time...

Hap

Comment

Something very common for the GS450 is that the original regulator/rectifier does not work properly after all those years and miles. This results in regular draining of the battery (even a brand new battery). Severe cases result in blown fuses and/or light bulbs.
            If you have that problem, then see the "stator papers" in the "Garage" section of this site.

Comment

Congrats!

I am still on my first bike which just so happens to be a GS450L and I have been riding for about a year now (2 more weeks!!) They are a fun little bike! I am 6'0" and 225lbs and the bike has pulled me past the 85 marked on the speedo so the power is there. It is a great bike to learn on, only ~380lbs and very forgiving. I got mine from my dad after it sat for about 9-10 years in our barn ( he didn't want to ride it as I was getting on toward drivers license age so he put it away).

The biggest thing on mine (which only had 6,700 miles on it when I got it) was the carbs. Be sure they are free of ALL varnish before attempting to ride (dad broke his collarbone because all the varnish wasn't clear and the throttle stuck and the rear wheel came out from under him). Of course if the bike had been riden normally before those 8 weeks you won't have this issue. Check you tires for dry rot and change your fluids, then have some fun!

Comment

Thanks for all the tips! I've already started working on it and you have all been a big push in the right direction. Now if I can just get the horn and the front brake light switch to work she'll be perfect.

Paul
                1981 GS 450L

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Originally posted by snark
                  Thanks for all the tips! I've already started working on it and you have all been a big push in the right direction. Now if I can just get the horn and the front brake light switch to work she'll be perfect.

Paul
                  Our 450S had a starter switch problem when we got it. Moisture can get in the switchboxes on the handlebars if left outside. If you haven't already, open the switch and clean up the connections in there.

Comment

Thanks, alot! That solved the problem! She's ready to go.

Paul
                    1981 GS 450L

Comment

I just learned to ride this past August. At 36 I took the class, sold my boat and bought a great 1995 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE. Put about 4k on her and love the ride but...sure miss my boat. When a friend at work had a 1981 gs450 for sale, (8K miles!) for $600, I couldn't resist. He got it from a friend who works on bikes. It had sat for a long time, like years I believe, and his friend cleaned the carbs, did some valve work, changed the fluids, battery and tires and she came to life. He put 2K on her and then his friend got her. I rode her the other day. A little hard to start but it's been cold lately and she hadn't been started in a few weeks. Anyway up and down the street a few times and I was sold. At the same time a nieghbor has this great boat for sale so...I sold the ACE for enough ($3300) to get the boat and the bike, with a little change! The GS is a far cry from the comfort and power of the 1100 but she'll be something to have fun on. Looking forwrd to joining this forum.
                      BB

Comment

Working...
                      X