Battery Acid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Acid

my bike was sitting for a month and a half, filled the batt with tap water and recharged at 1 amp for a few days. put it in bike and all was well, the other day. Went out this morning she fired right up. went to store and battery was dead. Question is i probably should not of used tap water, can a shop put some acid in, is that why its not holding charge. just did R/R last year

I belive that you only have to top the battery off with water, preferably distilled. I don't think that adding any more acid will help the battery. If you lost the charge that fast, you probably have a bad battery or it isn't charging.
    1982 GS1100GLZ Sold but still loved
    2008 Bandit 1250 Crashed (cager on a cell phone)
    2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

Re: Battery Acid

Once a new battery has been filled with electrolyte (usually, a premixed bottle of acid and water) additional acid is not added. Water evaporates or boils away, acid does not. Adding acid will result in having the wrong electrolyte combination. Its an excellent way to destroy a battery quickly.

Distilled water is preferable for topping up a battery, but its not the end of the world if you used tap water. :-)

After charging the battery, did you check the battery voltage? If you dont know what the battery voltage was when you started using it, then you dont know if the battery accepted a charge or if there is a short, or something faulty with your charging system. Replacing the R/R last year doesnt mean it HAS to be working this year. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by bostrom155
      my bike was sitting for a month and a half, filled the batt with tap water and recharged at 1 amp for a few days. put it in bike and all was well, the other day. Went out this morning she fired right up. went to store and battery was dead. Question is i probably should not of used tap water, can a shop put some acid in, is that why its not holding charge. just did R/R last year
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

ASSUMING the charging system works, Sudden Battery Death (SBD, not the more ephemeral sbd) is often due to a broken connection inside the battery.

Of course, your charging system could be poo, causing the poor battery to expend its last precious few contaminated ions.

Got a volt meter?
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

yes i have a meter, got it on charge now. 11.6 before charge

Comment

Did you read the Service column of "Rider"'s Nov issue? A reader sent in a similar problem and Andy diagnosed it as the battery connection. He states that using a screwdriver on your cable to battery post is not enough that the turn of a wrench is needed for proper connection. Try that. Doesn't cost anything and might work.

Comment

Working...
            X