Rotor Puller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotor Puller

I need to pull the rotor on my 78 GS750, to replace the starter bearings.
    Anyone know the proper size puller I need?

This is one of those repairs that calls for a "special tool" that suzuki sells.
    The Haynes service manual says the swingarm pivot bolt is the same size & thread as the rotor bolt. They recommend making a slide puller out of the swingarm bolt, washers & a large socket or similar weight. (the "special tool" looks a lot like this setup)
    Everybody agrees that using a 3 or 4 jaw puller is a big no-no!
    I've never tried this myself, but it should be easy enough to verify. If the swingarm nut threads onto the rotor bolt, the Haynes trick should work.

Terry

Comment

Re: Rotor Puller

Why would you need to remove the stator/rotor to replace the starter bearings?

Earl

Originally posted by gaillarry
      I need to pull the rotor on my 78 GS750, to replace the starter bearings.
      Anyone know the proper size puller I need?
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Forget making a slide hammer puller. If yours is like mine, it's gonna take a lot more oomph than a slide hammer puller can make....unless you want to risk messing up your crank bearings (with an exceptionally large weight on the slide)!!!

My puller was a hardened bolt, M16 if I remember. I tightened a set of chain Vise grips around the outside of the rotor to keep it from turning. Then I tightened the heck out of the extractor bolt. It took a 3 foot cheater pipe and a lot of muscle before the extractor bolt began to budge the rotor. But it worked, safely and without damaging crank, rotor, crank bearings, or cases.

Comment

Rotor Puller

I ordered a puller from the dealer $16. The reason I'm pulling it is to clean the metal shavings and grime behind it, and to replace the starter clutch bearings.

Comment

Re: Rotor Puller

Ahhhh, makes sense to me now. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by gaillarry
            I ordered a puller from the dealer $16. The reason I'm pulling it is to clean the metal shavings and grime behind it, and to replace the starter clutch bearings.
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
            X