Splitting Cases (spitting curses)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Splitting Cases (spitting curses)

I am in the midst of a complete rebuild of a 1979 GS850. I am trying to split the cases to replace the cam chain and am not having much luck. I have a Clymer manual that I have checked and double checked to make sure I didn't miss a step. It says the upper half is secured with 12 6mm bolts and 4 8mm bolts, the bottom 11 6mm bolts and 13 8mm bolts. I have counted and recounted the bolts I have removed and I get the right number, did the manual leave some out? I have banged on it with a rubber mallet, no luck. Is the gasket sealant just that strong holding the cases together?

In the above image, am I missing anything in the red circled area? At the end of the night last night I was able to get the cases to move apart a microscopic amount where the green arrow is.

In the above pictures, I removed the bolts connecting the secondary drive gears to the bottom half of the crank case, manual said it wasn't necessary to do the ones that go into the top half, are they lying?

the above image is just another angle, thought it might help.
    I am thinking about going after it with the rubber mallet (yes that is a wood mallet in the picture, but I really do have a rubber mallet) and a heat gun to try and soften up the gasket sealant holding the cases together. I have read other posts about corroded pins holding the case together, any tricks to help deal with that if that is the case? I have gone over everything and can't seem to see anything that could be holding things together still. Thanks in advance for any help.

Oh, and one final picure of my shop.

I thought it might interest some of you, it is an old rail car taken out of service around 1930.

Luke

If memory serves correct there is a 6mm bolt on top by the countershaft that is very well hidden .

Ask me how I know .

You might if certain all bolts are out have to ever so slightly drive a gasket scraper in a part of the case where it splits to get things going .

Any dibbits can be worked down by hand later for perfect re-seal .

Comment

cases

I would not drive a scaper or any thing else between the cases, you must have something still holding them cause if you got the one corner loose that should have started the sealent to break away I did my 1000 last month and the case only required a few light taps and when the sealer start to let go they popped right apart keep look, I would remove all 4 of the second side plate bolts, in case there is any binding, also look in the book to locate the case guide pins and tap close to those points all around the cases.

Comment

GS 850 13 bolts for the pan & 11-6mm 13-8mm for the crankcase

Comment

for a better picture

Comment

I'll give it a try

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try this weekend and let you know.

Luke

Comment

Success!

Hi,

Thanks for all the help. I was successful last night in splitting the cases. What it came down to was I just didn't have a good way to pull apart on the cases, but I noticed two spots for "bolt jacks" one on the front and one on the back. With a bolt and nut placed right, as you tighten the bolt the nut tries to lift the cases apart, with a little pressure front and back and tapping around it came apart no problem.

Thanks,

Luke

Comment

Help!!

can you tell me where the "jack screws" should go that you were talking about? I removed all the bolts on mine, and no luck either. I am about to use a hydraulic spreader.....

Comment

Working...
                X