'85 GS550E CARB CLEANING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'85 GS550E CARB CLEANING

Hello guys, I'm trying to clean the carbs for my '85 GS550E. I know there's a good picturial regarding carb cleaning in this site, but what I have is a pair of carbs feeding 4 cylinders (not 4 carbs like the ones pictured in this site). I also noticed that I don't have a spring in the slide. Anybody out there with a good picturial for the '85 GS550E carb cleaning procedure?

Thanks for the help.

None that I know of, but have done it a few times on my 85 550E. It isn't that hard to clean them, but getting them out...that is a trick! I always purchase new pilot jets before starting the job, and if it has been a while...needles and seats. the cleaning is self explanatory.

There should be a post about 6 months ago that goes into this. I remember others as well as myself helping someone through it. I might even have an old email to two I could route you.

Kenny

Comment

Thanks Kenny, I'll try to see if I can find that post. Appreciate though if you can route me that old e-mail. Thanks again.

Comment

I just did my 86 ES, the twin carbs come out really easy, all you have to do is remove the battery tray, then the airbox slides back about 4 inches making the carb removal very easy. Remove the battery, gas tank, side covers, remove/unsnap the fusebox, remove the ignition box (two bolts) there's two bolts on top of the airbox and two bolts on each side of battery tray and the tray should lift right out. It's more difficult the first time you do it, after that it becomes really easy. I posted some tips in the tips tricks section for cleaning carbs with a spray carb cleaner. I hope this solves your problem of not getting past 35mph. Good Luck.

Comment

Sounds just like the way I do it. One difference though, I end up removing the airbox boots once I pull the airboax backwards, this gives me more room to move the carbs.

I also have to twist the nose of the carbs downward to clear the frame, then pull them out the left side of the bike. Once they are partiall out, you can get to the throttle cable easier to disconnect it. Don't forget to unscrew the "choke" cables from the carbs, I usually pull it apart with the chokes "off" and install them with the choke "on" (you will understand once you see it).

If they have sat a long time, I soak them, for canned carb clean is not nearly as strong (I think it has a high ether content).

Kenny

Comment

Thanks for all your valuable tips guys, finally got the boots in, and was able to do a test run with wonderful results! Really happy now with my bike (my first one). I'll remember the tips though, just in-case I will have to pull out the carbs again.

Comment

Katada- Great, glad to hear that it was a dirty carb. You picked a great first bike, you may never need another, I'm sure you will enjoy it. Good Luck. Tom.

Comment

Kenny- I also removed the airbox boots but didn't mention it. Another trick to make it easier to remove the carbs is to remove the upper cross brace that ties the carbs together there are only four philips head screws to remove. With the brace removed it allows even more clearance for the frame tube between the carbs for sliding the carbs backward an extra inch or two. Also, I had a problem with the choke cable retainer plastic fittings they were both cracked and split. I guess the previous owner overtorqued them and they split, or they cracked from the engine heat and 18 years. You also have to be careful when installing them as the plastic threads can strip easily if you're not careful when starting the first thread. They have to be square to the hole and it's a little bit difficult to get them started with the choke cable in the way. The Suzuki dealer had new ones so it was not a problem, but I was considering making a set out of brass which I still might do if they crack again. Your tip was also good about putting the choke on while installing the plungers I will have to try that next time I pull the carbs. Which should be soon cause I bought a stage 1 jet kit which I want to try out. I bought an extra set of carbs just so I could swap them easily. Tom.

Comment

Working...
                X