GS1100 frame...but what is the engine??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100 frame...but what is the engine??

Helppppp......I am the proud new papa of a GS1100...thats all the tag says..it is an ex drag bike. so no paper work...I have my doubts about the engine being a GS1100....anyone got a trick of looking at the engine and making the distinction of what it is...Thanks for the feedback....Oh by the way, the reason for trying to find out engine info is that it has broken exhaust studs...and a BAD knock on the top end..left side...anyone got any ideas before I take it aprt and look around...

Re: GS1100 frame...but what is the engine??

Originally posted by bggjohn
    Helppppp......I am the proud new papa of a GS1100...thats all the tag says..it is an ex drag bike. so no paper work...I have my doubts about the engine being a GS1100....anyone got a trick of looking at the engine and making the distinction of what it is...Thanks for the feedback....Oh by the way, the reason for trying to find out engine info is that it has broken exhaust studs...and a BAD knock on the top end..left side...anyone got any ideas before I take it aprt and look around...
    Looking on the outside base of the cylinders usually gives you the cc's, unless its been ground off. Also on the block close to the oil filler cap there may be an engine # stamped in the case which may identify it as an 1100.

Comment

Give me the engine number and I should be able to identify it.
      Axel

Comment

Thanks for the replies...but the numbers have been ground off...no numbers on the case,,,,no numbers on the stamped area....

Comment

This is going to be tough. About all we can determine is if it's a 1100 or 1150. The 1100 engines had rectangular shaped, removable covers over the end of the cams. On 1980 and '81 these covers were chrome steel. On '82 and '83 they were black painted aluminum with small horizontal grooves. The GS1150 engines had no covers at all. Oh yeah, if it has round covers it could be an older 1000. Look for four covers in all, two each side, at very top of motor.
          Axel

Comment

Nope...not tough at all.....It does have rectangle end caps....I do not remember this evening if they are chrome or not...I believe they are....so looks like I got a 80-81 , 1100 engine.....Ok so now we knwo what I got...just gotta figure out what that gosh awful knock is on the upper left side if your sitting on it...bike runs good...just makes one heck of a knock..Thanks for your help...any direction or advise on the knock...

Comment

Engine knocking from upper left side and it used to be a drag bike? Maybe a bent valve or rod, not sure but it sounds expensive.
              Axel

Comment

yep....my thoughts exactly.....especially with the broken exhaust studs...I see bent valve myself...but alas....I have a GS1100....so my dream continues...lol Thanks for your help..

Comment

Bent valve?

Remember if it's a bent valve that one cylinder would'nt fire from a lack of compression as the valve is no longer sealing on the seat and would'nt hold pressure.
                  Please don't run it much to minimize the damage to date..
                  Pull the cam cover and look it over closely......valvetrain bent perhaps???? These motors are so overbuilt I can't imagine a bad bottom end
                  Rick.....

Comment

The "80" thru "82" 750 engines look identical to the 1100's. The 750's had plain bearing cranks, and were known for having rod bearing problems, this could be the knock. The 1100's had roller bearing cranks, and never give rod bearing problems but sometimes they would twist the crank, causing main bearing problems.

Comment

Bike is running strong....no miss....Just a loud knock on the top end...this is with the valve train vover off...I can hear it on the left upper side...just can not isolate it....

Comment

While the cover is off check the valve clearance. If you have any large rocker to valve clearances that means a valve could be bent and not closing. If so, there is a good chance it's hitting the piston and making that noise.
                        Axel

Comment

Working...
                        X