Test running the bike with airbox disconnected to the carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test running the bike with airbox disconnected to the carbs

Will the performance (speed/RPM) of the bike be the same if the airbox is disconnected from the carbs while doing a test run? I wonder if this is the cause why my bike will not go past 3k RPM... it idles good though.

No it will not. You should have the air box in place with a filter to get the best tune on your bike.

Comment

If your asking if the speed to rpm ratio will be the same, yes it will.
      But keep your test run short to prevent damage to your motor.

Comment

Thanks guys. I was reading some of the old threads and some were stating that it could lean/rich the mixture that's why the engine will not run past say 5k RPM. Another one says that the airbox has to be properly seated to the carb and that the air filter cover also seated. But I'll try to experiment with and without the airbox attached to the carb though.

Comment

Re: Test running the bike with airbox disconnected to the ca

Originally posted by katada
          Will the performance (speed/RPM) of the bike be the same if the airbox is disconnected from the carbs while doing a test run? I wonder if this is the cause why my bike will not go past 3k RPM... it idles good though.
          Katada,

There's lots of knowledge here to get you running well but we'll need more info. What year/model bike? Stock or modified? What started the problem? Have you made any recent changes to the bike? Was it running okay and went bad slowly? Was it running okay and went bad quickly? Is the bike new to you and you're not sure how it started? Any other symptoms? Post some more info and you'll save yourself a lot of troubleshooting time.

Joe
          IBA# 24077
          '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
          '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Hello Joe, here's the history of the bike: This is a 1985 GS550E, I bought this from a friend, only had 3400 miles on it. This was not running since 1997. I drained the gas from the tank, cleaned the petcock filter too, cleaned the carbs (thoroughly, I think), charged the battery, put in new gas, fired it up, and it run. I did not replace the boot from the carb to the airbox. Did a test run, and it run fine, only up to 35 MPH and nothing more. So I re-checked the gas in the carb bowl, and they seem to be okay. So the question is: Since the carb to airbox boot was not connected/hooked up, was that the cause why the bike will not go past 35 MPH?

Comment

If the bike supposedly ran okay before it was stored it would be best to go back to that configuration. That would mean putting the airbox back on and installing the filter. See if that fixes the problem, makes it better, or makes it worse. This will be a clue that will lead us to the next step.

Joe
              IBA# 24077
              '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
              '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

IF you do not have the airbox hooked to the carbs IT will effect the tuning and YES it will run like you have two cylinders disconnected / NO power That is unless it is jetted to run without or with pods

Comment

Working...
                X