Pod Theory Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pod Theory Question?

Sorry guys this is suzuki related, anyway my roomate has some old honda vt500 that he is making some sorta chopper street fighter looking thing out of. Anyway he wants to run pods not for performance reasons but the airbox takes up every last bit of space on the bike. Is there any possible way to run "restrictive" pods and still have the bike run right?

thanks

Well, if you blank off a bunch of the filter area until the flow is the same as the stock air box, it should be close. I would bet that no matter what you will end up fiddling with at least the mixture screws and certainly the amount of tape (or whatever you use to blank off the filter area with).

Mark

Comment

so restricting the airflow should make it half way decent? Is the airflow the only factor in making an engine run poor with pods installed? There is a stage 1 jet kit available for it, stage 1 is still for stock airboxes but would it help at all?

Comment

you need stage 2 or 3 if you want to run pods 2 i think is for pods and stock exhaust or vis versa, 3 is for pods and 4 into 1.

rejetting isn't to hard it just takes patients.

-ryan
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

does the bike need a rejet kit from someone like k&n or dynajet? cause dynajet only makes a stage 1 for that model. Whats the difference between a jet kit and just standard jets?

Comment

Originally posted by mark m
            Well, if you blank off a bunch of the filter area until the flow is the same as the stock air box, it should be close. I would bet that no matter what you will end up fiddling with at least the mixture screws and certainly the amount of tape (or whatever you use to blank off the filter area with).

Mark
            I agree. You could use electrical tape/baggies to find how much filter area is to be covered and then apply a sealant to cover that part of the filters. It would take some tinkering though.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by ztec
              Whats the difference between a jet kit and just standard jets?
              A jet kit comes with everything you need (except patience) to re-jet all three fuel circuits and instructions.
              If you try to re-jet with individual jets, you generally end up buying several sizes of main jets and sometimes pilot jets. For the needle circuit IF YOU'RE LUCKY, your bike will already have an adjustable jet needle. But you won't have any jetting spacers if needed to make 1/2 step needle position changes. The stock needles just don't work well sometimes.
              They're tapered differently.
              If your needles aren't adjustable, then you have to buy a jet kit. Some people "shim" the stock needles but that's more trouble.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

If your buddy is going to run foam pods you might be surprised to find they are MORE restrictive than the stock airbox/filter combo. Don't assume they will be less, you've got to check.

Comment

foam pods sound like a good idea, its not the performance that is a concern its just the space the airbox takes up

Comment

so who sells foam pods

Comment

Last time I bought a set they were for an old CB-450. and I got them from JC Whitney www.jcwhitney.com
                      also check www.denniskirk.com
                      they were UNI brand and were every bit as restrictive as stock. YMMV so again, check.

Comment

Originally posted by ztec
                        foam pods sound like a good idea, its not the performance that is a concern its just the space the airbox takes up
                        To see how the new filters effect mixture, I would take some plug reads now at 1/8, 1/3 and full throttle, just to see how the mixture is. Take pic's or write the reads down and then do the same tests/checks when the new filters go on.

Comment

The air flow of the pods is one one problem. The air box can also provide certain air flow characteristics that will be upset when going to pods. These can include tuned length runners etc etc. On older bikes putting on pods may not be as much of an issue, but GS experince shows this can vary. A little or a lot of tuning changes may be needed to get it running as good as standard. CV carbs may have a bit of a fit!

I don't know the VT enough to know what sort of air inflow arrangement it has.

Comment

Working...
                          X