Brake master shim???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake master shim???

I just wanted to put this out there before going balls out tomorrow...

I have been fiddling with my bike over the last couple of days getting it ready for a weekend of caning, and tried to address the front brake issue I have, namely that the lever comes back about 3/4" before anything happens. I cannot see any adjusters so I made up a shim that I have placed between the lever (not genuine) and master pushrod.

The brakes have always been fine, better after I bled and renewed the fluid and changed to EBC pads, just the lever had too much free play. Now I have about 1/2" of tug before anything happens, the brake doesnt bind, all looks good.. Have I missed anything?? CJ

On your bike, a 1/2" of pull before actual braking doesn't sound bad. But I guess that's with the shim you made still installed? If the pads and rotors are good and you did a good bleed, it could be the lines are expanding under pressure.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
      On your bike, a 1/2" of pull before actual braking doesn't sound bad. But I guess that's with the shim you made still installed? If the pads and rotors are good and you did a good bleed, it could be the lines are expanding under pressure.
      Yes, that is with the shim, I have good feel and the brakes are bled. It just worries me that I needed to take such a measure, as before I added the shim the lever would come within 1/4" of the bar under heavy braking, which seems a bit close for comfort...

Comment

You also said the lever was not "genuine". Maybe it has a different shape where the lever meets the piston assembly?
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
          You also said the lever was not "genuine". Maybe it has a different shape where the lever meets the piston assembly?
          Could be.. I am off now to get my knee down, all going well just my knee :twisted:

A couple of test stops show all to be well...

Comment

CJ, I (sorta) remember reading a piece in one of the Service columns in a bike rag and the author commented on the importance of using the proper brake lever for the master cylinder for just the reason you describe. I'd look for the correct lever. If you lost that shim... 8O :x .

Comment

Working...
            X