Another Clutch Qestion (S)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Clutch Qestion (S)

I just want to make sure I get this right and don't find any hidden surprises.

I'm going to order new plates (fiber) and stock springs from the Suzy dealer tomorrow. They told me it has 8 plates.

Questions:

1. Is 8 the correct #?
    2. Besides the springs and gasket, is there anything else I'll need?

Next subject. This bike has had the clutch rattle when not engaged and COLD. Once it warms up, it's fine. I've read 2 different scenarios on this. One was that it's normal, and another that it was the clutch hub nut loose. Since it goes away after it warms up, I'm assuming this is ok?

I haven't replace a clutch since my '76 Kaw 250 enduro, so I am capable, but not Knowledgeable. SO any other advice is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

I don't know what model your bike is, but my manual for the '82 1100E shows 9 fiber plates. That dosen't mean eight isn't correct for your bike though. Other than what you mentioned, you'll probably have to change the oil unless you can tip your bike over far enough so none dumps out when you pull the cover. As far as the clutch rattle goes. It's very common. It dosen't have to mean anything is loose. I've been running the stock clutch setup in my 1100 since it was new except for new fiber plates and mine's been fine.

Comment

Sorry, used to have my bike info in my Sig. It's back.

I have the factory manual and it doesn't really show the qty of the disks, unless I'm missing something. I got 8 from my local dealer, but honestly, the local dealer has been less than stellar in the 5 months I've owned this bike.

Comment

Re: Another Clutch Qestion (S)

Uhhhh, yeah. 3 1/2 quarts of oil and a pan to drain the old stuff into, some rags and a milking stool. :-) :-) Might want to go ahead a get a new oil filter also since youre going to have to drain it.

I believe 8 is the correct number and yep, a new gasket.

Earl.

Originally posted by DMPLATT
        2. Besides the springs and gasket, is there anything else I'll need?

Thanks

Dave
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I missed ya Earl. See, I can't even change my own diaper with out ya. 8) 8)

Thanks for the info.

Comment

:-) :-) Youve been pretty scarce as of late yourself. eh eh

Earl

Originally posted by DMPLATT
            I missed ya Earl. See, I can't even change my own diaper with out ya. 8) 8)

Thanks for the info.
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Dave,

Glad to see you're back. I just replaced my clutch assembly a few months ago following the instructions in this article. It went really well and my clutch works great!

Please recheck the URL for the proper spelling. Or use our search box at the top of this page to find what you're looking for.

According to bikebandit's suzuki schematic, you have 8 fiber plates which would mean 8 metal plates. I punched in an 83 GS750ES. That's what you have right?

Good luck!
              Jon
              16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
              13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
              78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
              Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
              02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
              12 Aprilia Shiver 750
              82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Working...
              X