Dual Problem With Instrument Cluster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This 1978 black GS550 is my first bike. I purchased it last month following my close-circuit MOST II exam. I have been wanting a GS for decades.

It just came back from fixing the four cards and the fuel shutoff valve + tuneup. First ride with it, I noticed the speedometer lags considerably, underestimating the speed and maxing it at 40 km/h (24mi/h). The RPM was also dead. Yesterday I replaced both cables with brand new ones, removed and cleaned the RPM gear on the engine. The new cables did nothing to the speedo but awakened the RPM, which is now laging considerably, maxing at around 2500, and almost as if it was displaying the average RPM of the last 20 minutes! Even after I shut down the engine, the RPM shows something, slowly decreasing to zero over several minutes.

I began the process of searching for another cluster before I gladly found you guys! I intend to temporarily install a Motovan 2" speedo on the handle bar until I find a fix/replacement. These are my very first hours riding a motorcycle and I really wish to know what speed I am going at.

Thank you for you help

Jean LaRoche
    Montreal
    514-336-9310

I have not done it myself but others have had sucess CAREFULLY prying the bezel off and removing the gauge for cleaning Or you could drill a small hole in the side and spray some cleaner in it

Comment

What kind of cleaner? Something like WD40 spray?

Jean

Comment

OK, I drilled four tiny holes and sprayed some "Walter Bolt Out". I sprayed too much and it went on the face side... messy. It didn't change the behavior of the gauges, so I removed the back cover, drilled new holes and sprayed some more. No fix... Darn.

I was a good tip however, thank you very much.

Jean LaRoche
        Montreal

Comment

I on the other hand, have done this on my 82 750...
          carefully pry the bezel off the front of the tacho or speedo after removing from the plastic housing'there is a wheel with a magnet on it in there that drives the needle. the cable turns another wheel with a magnet on it that couples and moves the needle. the axle pivets get dry. lube them
          reinstall CAREFULLY in reverse order
          Jim

Comment

Well... well... at 9:05am I began working on the RPM gauge. At 9:07, the face glass broke, my tool slipped and scratched the kitchen table. It is now 4:35pm and I am still reflecting on the beauty of fall through the patio door, overlooking this cluster-free GS which won't hit the road for a little while... darn...

Jean

Comment

Jean,

I just sent you an email!

Comment

Sorry to hear about the glass problem. It appears that these problems appeared after work was done by someone else. Since both instruments are afected, the level of coincidence is pretty high. That suggests the problem may lie in cable routing.

If the speedo/tach cables are twisted or bent at too much of an angle they can bind internally, which affects the net performance, and could cause the results you describe.

I don't know your instruments, but you could ask a dealer for a replacement. If that doesn't work, you could ask at an automotive glass store....like Speedy Auto Glass. I don't know if they have plain glass, but Speedy people have cut mirrors for me several times.

LEXAN will also work, you just need to be patient when cutting/grinding it to fit. A bit of silicone glue will hold it in place, and keep it watertight.
                Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Today I received and installed replacement (used) RPM and speed indicators without changing the actual cluster. It came to be a simpler and quicker process than to remove the gas tank and change the whole cluster assembly. The operation was succesful for the RPM indicator. However the new speedo shows a normal speed increase but doesn't come down as the bike slows to stop. I need to tap several times on it to get the needle down to zero.

I called the supplier and asked to send another speedo (just the gauge.) Hopefully this saga will be over in time for a weekend ride.

Jean

Comment

Working...
                  X