Steering head bearing replacement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering head bearing replacement.

It looks like a pretty straightforward procedure in the manual for my '79 750. It look like my source is going to be Bike Bandit (Cycle Re-Cycle doesn't seem to sell bearings for Suzuki), and it seems they only show bearings for the top of the head. Are the bearings and races identical for the top and bottom? I should then just order two of everything: an inner race, outer race, and eighteen balls, I'd assume. Unless it would be better to go with tapered bearing replacements, I'm sure I've seen this topic covered but I can't find it. Also any 'hot tips' not listed in the manual are always welcome, of course. 8)

It seems really hard to find what I'm looking for with the search feature, any tips for being able to zero in on what I want without having to open scads of seemingly unrelated topics? Maybe it's just a symptom of the huge amount of posts that stack up, that really 'hot discussion' on changing steering head bearings from two months ago is buried way behind lots of posts that go something like, "I was steering with my head the other day and I really lost my bearings.

Thanks for any help!

The brg races can be a Bit%h to get out without the tool

Comment

I beleive Dennis Jerk (Kirk) sells the bearing 'kits' for our bikes, comes with caged bearing, and races. punch out old, drive in new.

Comment

Find some All Balls.

Find some All Balls bearings. These are taipered sets that replace any type of stock bearings. If you have ball bearings now the taipered will be a big improvement. Den-kirk has them. So do some other on line sources if you search "steering stem bearings". If you simply can not find the right size go to the All Balls factory web site "www.allballsracing.com" and they will sell you the right size under thier custom bearing page. They will only sell to you direct if you can't find them from a dealer.

Don't even think about going to you local yocal "Metric What?" Shop. even if they can do the math and figure out a sorta close standard size they won't have anything with a small enough ratio. If they have the right ID the OD will be too big. If they find the right OD the ID will be too small.

Good Luck.

Comment

12-1425 in the cat www.DennisKirk.com for the older style with balls!
          tHE later style 12-1424

Comment

Re: Steering head bearing replacement.

Originally posted by Hotblack
            "I was steering with my head the other day and I really lost my bearings.

Man, you got to stop that kind of stuff! 8O

Comment

Duh looks like you're right, Dennis Jerk DOES carry bearings. I was looking under suspension, they list them under 'handlebars/controls'. Maybe that was me steering with my head. Looks like they send you everything you need for 33 bucks. Thanks!

Comment

instal tips.

You can get install tips from the All Balls site as well. I havn't looked at the tips yet but I will be after I get the powder coating done, and get ready to instal the bearings.

Comment

trouble finding things

I have found my searches get better results if I mark "search for all terms" right below where you enter in the keywords and search only the tech forum.

Comment

It's just dawning on me now that all 'terms' might make it see the words I type in as a single term instead of words that can pop up in any order? If so that would be a good thing. I'll have to try it.

Comment

When I replaced the steering head bearings in a KZ440, I removed the races with a length of PVC pipe as a drift. I then took them and a few of the loose bearings to a local bearing shop, where I was able to get the bearings for about a tenth of what the dealer wanted. They were standard 1/4" bearings. The races were non-standard, so I had to order those.

A friend was able to get all of his Yamaha wheel bearings locally at a fraction of the dealer's prices.

Worth a try.

Comment

Any good bearing supply should be able to match these bearings IMHO. Suzuki doesn't manufacture bearings, they buy them from commercial bearing manufacturers. And good bearing houses today are very familar with metric bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by BillC
                          Any good bearing supply should be able to match these bearings IMHO. Suzuki doesn't manufacture bearings, they buy them from commercial bearing manufacturers. And good bearing houses today are very familar with metric bearings.
                          This is true BUT THEY WILL NOT have the correct seals for the steering stem

Comment

But, unless you ruin the seals, they can be used over and over again. I rarely replace front wheel seals on my cars, for I learned years ago how to remove them without damage.

I don't see why you would have to replace the seal.

Personally, going with the All Balls tapered roller bearing on the new Nighthawk 450 for the wife. Cheaper, better, and quicker to get...no brainer for me!

Kenny

Comment

Working...
                            X