New starter needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New starter needed

looking for the best place to get a new starter for a 81 850L , At the best price . Had mine rebuilt this past spring but they said it wouldn't last long :? Its getting slow when the motors warm , let it sit & cool down it will crank , Batt & charging system checks out OK all new cables , wires & relay. Thanks

EBAY GS 750/850/1000/1100

Comment

I would prefer a new or reman. One from ebay is a 50/50 shot that its good or in a good rebuildable state are new ones no longer available Thanks

Comment

Thank you SqDancerLynn1

Comment

I guess I'm a little bit of a skeptic, though. There's no Bendix in these starters, it's just a DC motor with an armature and some brushes....How many miles are on it?

Who rebuilt it, the Suzuki shop, or a real electric motor rebuilder? If it was the Suzuki shop, maybe they're just trying to sell you a new starter.

I've had mine apart, it's simple to take apart, I cleaned the commutator with some contact cleaner, the brushes looked fine, stuck it back together and it cranks great. I think Bikebandit sells the armature and brushes, if the commutator is worn too much maybe just replacing the armature and brushes would be a lot cheaper than a whole new starter.

EDIT: I just checked, Bikebandit sells the brushes for $10 but they no longer list the armature. Still, unless it's really really shot, I would try cleaning it. The contacts on the commutator should be nice and shiny and free of grease or oil. Not even WD 40 here. Even if windings have gotten messed up, a motor shop can rewind it cheaper than a new starter. They can even fix worn commutator bars.

Comment

The bike only has 23.000 miles on it , But it had sat out side uncovered for 16 years The starter was a clump of rust from sitting in water, ( Drain plugged up ) The shop that redone it is a starter alternator shop, thats all they do is rebuild starters , generators, alternators, & electric motors, I have been using them for many years with out any problems,

Comment

Argggh, sitting outside uncovered for years....that's a bummer. I was hoping you wouldn't have to spend almost $400 but if it looks like a new starter may ne necessary...that sucks.

I guess you could chance buying a used one, clean it and stick brushes in it...and hope you didn't wind up with another pile of rust.

Comment

Working...
              X