motor in, everything kosher before start... Start then CLANG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

motor in, everything kosher before start... Start then CLANG

I finally finished installing the GS1000 engine in my 750. I started it and now there is a loud PING or CLANG like metal coliding with metal... clearances were fine, so now I need to know if I need a new head. Also, will my old 750 head and cams fit the GS1000. both are two valve, 1000 is a 79 750 is a 78. I would like to hit the road again SOON.

clearences fine??? did you take it appart. check the cam timing if that was set up wrong you could have piston hitting a valve. Very bad

Comment

**CLANG** is definetly Not Good. Have you tried to revolve the engine by hand? (Take sparkplugs out, put in gear and rotate rearwheel) This is an easy way to check just where the noise is coming from. Still, I think its Back to the Drawingboard for you, buddy.

Comment

Hi,

Clutch rattle is MUCH more evident in the GS1000 engine - try to raise the idle to 1.200-1.300 rpm's and see if the noise dissapears.

The cam's are indentical, but the tooth's on the GS 1000 sprockets are slightly higher (suppose because the cam.chain goes in a stright line between the two tops of the sprockets - which not is the case on the GS750).

Best regards

Comment

What is the static timing for cams on the gs1000 2 valver? I know its different from the 750... I guess I didn't check that... the tappet clearances I checked. is it possible for a stator rotor magnet to be doing this?

Comment

Working...
          X