powder coat sitcker concern.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

powder coat sitcker concern.

I am gettin ready to powder coat the frame and every little odd and end of my cb 750 project. I am woried about the production sticker on the steering neck. Should this just be taped over? Or should I remove it somehow then re-apply it? If so how?

Also. I found a place in Colorado that will blast and coat everything for the same price that it would cost me to have most other places do only the coating. What should I watch out for to make sure that I don't get a messed up coating.

Thanks Chris.

frame

You can try and remove it with a heat gun but not likely going to come off in one piece, you may want to take it to a high way patrol or what ever you have in your area and have the numbers stamped in the frame but I believe you may already have them on that old CB, some states will put a tag on the frame, remember any place that you DONT want powder coat applied to will have to be masked when sprayed and then removed before it is baked witch will more than likely melt the label, any thing that is not masked will have to be scrapped in order to refit the parts, bolt holes, bearing races,etc. I would photograph the label and keep it in case you have I.D problems in the future, i.e insurance verifacation, check with your local DMV before you remove the label every state is different, Isee that this is a sand cast wirch is very desireable if the labels, in good shape try and save at all costs, or photo and have reproduced

Comment

sticker

The sticker is a metal foil so maybee it wont shrink or melt. You are right about the frame #. It is stamped on the other side. The only thing on the sticker for these things is supposed to be the production date. Mine has none. I think mine was produced early in 69 with the rest of the sand casts but I have no idea when. The only reason I want to save the sticker is like you said these things are rare and I am trying to keep it looking original.

I like the idea of doing the tape then removing it before it gets baked.

You all are great by the way. Most of the hacks over at the CB sohc4 site don't even know what a sand cast is. One guy over thier seems to be a bit of an expert, but he only chimes in on my requests once in a while.

Comment

Chris, I had my 77 GS750 frame blasted and powder coated and am very happy with the results. I'm sure you know to remove all bearings and races and make sure any openings you don't want coated are plugged. You may have to run a rethreader though some of the threaded openings. One minor problem I had was when I went to mount new shocks I had to remove some of the coating from the mounts to get them on.

I was able to get the label off the steering head in one piece using a hair dryer but haven't bothered to put it back as the VIN number is stamped in the metal.

I can't vouch for the accuracy of this but it's something to keep in mind. A while back I read in a British magazine (Classic & Motorcycle Mechanics) that unlike Japanese factory paint, powder coating does not conduct electricity. I made sure all of my grounds were made to bare metal and haven't had any problems. Good luck.

Comment

I think these things were originally powder coated.

I'm pretty sure my frame was originaly powder coated not painted. From what I understand most all of the old Japanese frames were powder coated.

I may give the hair dryer a shot. I won't try too hard to get it off. I'd rather give up than rip it.

Comment

Re: I think these things were originally powder coated.

Originally posted by cdnoel
            I'm pretty sure my frame was originaly powder coated not painted. From what I understand most all of the old Japanese frames were powder coated.

I may give the hair dryer a shot. I won't try too hard to get it off. I'd rather give up than rip it.
            Please keep us updated on this. I was under the impression that the older Japanese frames were just painted with enamel. Would shock the peanuts out of my M&Ms to find out they were powdercoated. 8O

Comment

You can tape over any area that you don't want to get "painted", however, the tape stays on during the baking process...they use heat resistant tape. The powder is electrically charged and sticks to the oppositly charged piece of metal. Once sprayed, it is fairly easily brushed off....so the tape is left on and removed after the oven time.

Comment

Took the sticker off.

I took the sticker off. I didn't feel like hooking up the hair dryer so I just used my propane torch. I heated the steering neck from the inside since the stem and bearings are removed. All the sand blasting places I have talked to say that the old japanese frames they have blasted have all been powder coated. They say that the powder coating is some what harder to blast off. They also say that if you try to use striper first it makes it even more dificult, and makes the job more expensive.

Any how. I'm all set now. and will be letting you all know how things turn out.

I cant wait to start re-assembling this thing. It should all be down hill from there. NOT!

Comment

I took it off my 78 with a razor blade. It is a foil layer on top of a wax paper like sticker on my bike. The foil tears like toilet paper so be careful. But putting it back on with super glue worked well.

Comment

frame

The old frames where electro-static coated with enamel and then baked, very tough finish but not powder coated as they do today

Comment

When I painted my frame with a spray bomb, I taped over the sticker. When I pulled off the tape, half the sticker came with it! :roll:
                      Kevin
                      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Working...
                      X