carburetor back fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carburetor back fire

I've got a GS450. The number two cylinder occasionally back fires back through the carburetor. I also noticed upon first starting the bike the exhuast heats up faster on the right side. Is this just a matter of synching the carbs? Checking the output of the coils? Checking the valves? All of the above?

Thanks
    Mike

Carb sync is a good bet. Also, I can't remember how it works but the valves on these tighten up with wear, so they open earlier as the bike ages. You will see what I mean the first time you adjust the valves. Sounds like your thinking is right, that lit up air/fuel shouldn't be getting back through the carb.

Comment

Thanks Midnightrider. I just needed someone to back me up on my thinking. I would rather do a carb synch than tearing into the engine or carburetors.

Comment

One particular thing with the # 2 carb. The vacuum for the petcock comes from there. Also I would check the fuel level in the float bowls by replacing the drain with a fitting, and putting a transparent tube on it. Wrong float level can really mess up a cylinder.

Comment

yeah make sure your carbs are clean and synced. my bike did it for a while then i raised the needle a half step because the bike was running a tad rich in the mid, now it very rarely back fires through the carbs.

-ryan
          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x
          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

sounds like you should check and set your float bowl levals and sync the carbs to each other also you should check your valve clearances and ur coil/timing

Comment

Before a carb synch, you should always be sure the valve clearances and ignition timing are correct.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Re: carburetor back fire

Originally posted by Termic
                I've got a GS450. The number two cylinder occasionally back fires back through the carburetor. I also noticed upon first starting the bike the exhuast heats up faster on the right side. Is this just a matter of synching the carbs? Checking the output of the coils? Checking the valves? All of the above?

Thanks
                Mike
                Sounds like a lean condition or you got erratic timing.
                1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Working...
                X