ignitor fried

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ignitor fried

Well I was playing around with an ignition modification and must have crossed a wrong wire, cause then I saw smoke coming from my ignitor box. So 2& 3 cylinders won't fire now.
    I've got the ignition mod a couple other guys here have mentioned to where I've got power to the coils straight from the battery. So can I hook up my coils straight to the sensor plate of my ignition?
    Should I just buck up and buy the Dyna III instead? I really need to get this bike running now though....thanks in advance!

Les

I just did that mod to one of my GKs using the Kaw schematic. Didn't go near the ignition sensors. Should be taking the relay trigger from the hot output of the kill switch and sending battery voltage to the other side of that same circuit - the ignition coils. Thats so your kill switch still works, you may need it someday.

Comment

I'm guessing I can't just do what I would like to do.
      What is the difference between a Dyna S ignition system and a Dyna III?

Les

Comment

The dyna S is a self contained one piece unit that fits under the ign cover.
        The Dyna III is a two piece unit. No difference for preformance

Comment

Think I see what you were trying to do. You have to keep in mind that the +12 volts DC is constantly supplied to the + side of the coils. The ignition sensors connect the ground to the negative side of the coils (on and off). The modifacation reroutes the +12VDC to the + side of the ignition coils. The relay makes it so you are using the ignition switch for a low current switch, which turns the relay on. The higher current flows through the secondary side of the relay directly to the coils, bypassing the ignition switch, kill switch, harness connectors, and whatever else they installed on that line. The energizing done by the ignition switch can be undone by the kill switch, so you have to take the hot (+12 volt) leg from the kill switch to run the primary side of the relay. Otherwise, your kill switch won't work anymore. Remember, you are not modifying the side of the ignition system that is constantly switching that collaspes the coil fields and causes the plugs to fire. You are rerouting the posative voltage that is constantly supplid to the coils. (if the ignition switch and kill switch are on). Also, look at the schematic supplied in that other thread. If you get a 30 amp relay at Auto Zone (fog light section), the terminal numbering on that schematic is numbered the same on the relay.

Comment

Working...
          X