A few questions about ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few questions about ignition

I am not having any problems with my ignition or anything, just trying to satisfy my quest for knowledge.

I know on a standard automotive engine, there is a distributor with some form of an advance on it (electronic or vacuum). Well I had the RH cover with the Suzuki emblem that goes over (for lack of knowing a better term) the distributor. My question is how do these motors deal with ignition timing, advancement and all? My Haynes manual doesn't really explain it to my satisfaction.

Thanks for helping get my fix for curiosity

the early versions of the ignition used on the GS's including the pre80's points ignition used a mechanical advance.the last version used on the late GS's used a electronic advance.
    a distributor is not used, instead twin pick ups (or twin points) are used to trigger two coils.
    on the fours two plugs fire every 180 degrees of crank rotation, one on a compresion stroke, the other is wasted on a exhaust stroke.
    this is just like what is used on modern car engines with the exception cars use fancy electronic controls.

Comment

To add to Focus Frenzys response, the advance mechanisim on your 81 should be that same as mine. It uses two weighted arms attached to the crank that extend outward with centrifugal force. The faster the crank moves, the more the arms move out, changing the timing of the spark. The arms have springs on them to make them return as the engine speed decreases.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

So thats the advance system they use. Mine have worked so well I haven't had to learn it. Had a bad cover on one bike, so have looked at it a few times.

Comment

Thanks FF and Jethro!!
          That is exactly what I was wondering!!

Comment

Working...
          X