hose connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hose connection

Hello every one, on my 1980 gs1000g which came withh k&n filters, the hose that connects to the air box has no filter at the end, should the end of the hose be plugged? or can it stay open, If plugged would it hurt the engine? someone told me if the hose plugged the engine seals will blow out. Is there any truth to this?

ard

yes you will blow seals!
    the crank case vent needs to remain open, it is best to run it to a point behind the engine to keep mess to a minimum, and it would be best to put a filter on it to prevent unwanted stuff from getting in the engine (IE:bugs dust)
    K&N makes a filter for this.
    a custom GS that was on E-bay had a very good system done on it, the guy who built it routed the crank case vent to a filter mounted on a custom bracket on the back side of the clutch cover, so any oil condensed in the filter would drip away from the engine to the right of the rear wheel.

I have also seen the crank case vent run to a small catch bottle above the transmission.

Comment

The hose you speak of is the breather cover vent hose. As I understand, it's purpose is to allow the valve cover to vent off any gasses that might slip by the valves. Technically, if you seal this off, and the head gets really hot, and unburnt fuel slips by the valve seals, there could be some ignition in the head. It would require your engine running too hot and your valve clearances being off to cause a problem, but it could happen. Burnt valve seals would probably be the best case scenario. I'd keep the breather hose on the cover and just let it hang out. Don't block it off. the worst thing you will have is an odor of gas. Usually the breather hose feeds into the air box to reburn the fuel, so you don't smell it. No oil should ever come out of it.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

hose

thank youvery much for the info I should start looking for a filter to connect to the hose I am glad I asked this soon enough so I dont have blown engine seals than you focus frenzy and jethro.
        GSResources is the best.

ard

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
          yes you will blow seals!
          the crank case vent needs to remain open, it is best to run it to a point behind the engine to keep mess to a minimum, and it would be best to put a filter on it to prevent unwanted stuff from getting in the engine (IE:bugs dust)
          K&N makes a filter for this.
          a custom GS that was on E-bay had a very good system done on it, the guy who built it routed the crank case vent to a filter mounted on a custom bracket on the back side of the clutch cover, so any oil condensed in the filter would drip away from the engine to the right of the rear wheel.

I have also seen the crank case vent run to a small catch bottle above the transmission.
          Leon, ard, for my '79 GS1000E I came up with a clean and out of sight breather catch. I run the hose with a K&N crankcase breather filter under the seat and into a sealed rear shock dust cover. The hose sits in a groove that keeps the filter off the bottom of the catch. Every couple of weeks I just lift the hose and wipe any fluid up with a napkin. Works good and very simple to make.
          Check it out at my website if interested. It's the second to last pic' in my photos. Just click the WWW symbol below.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
          X