No announcement yet.

Does anyone use and recommend a particular oil additive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought perhaps the synthetic oil would be better at getting past the rings and valve guides which would cause it to burn more. It?s been a while since I pulled any spark plugs so I can?t answer that one. One quart/2500 miles seems like a lot to me but what do I know. I would be surprised if it were using much more than that. The thing is that I would have a hard time checking that since I rode it slightly over 2000 miles all season. I did an oil change in April or May. I had to add over the summer but I don?t think I put an entire quart in. Of course since I wasn?t keeping track its tough to say.

How does it run??.Well I think that it runs quite well. When the battery is charged properly(cheap battery?loses water) it starts right up. Unless its been sitting a week or more then I have to put it on prime and it takes a little cranking. I assumed that was fine though. It needs choked for a while when it?s cold but after it warms up it idles at about 1500 rpm with no spitting or sputtering. It backfires if I let off the throttle abruptly in low gear at medium to high RPM. It is capable of at least 7000 rpm in 5th gear which the speedometer said was about 100mph. It would have gone faster but I decided not to. I don?t really know how much it had left. That was September of this year. It would seem to me judging from your post that I should be OK. I was just worried that I was in for it. Also since I moved I don?t have many friends around and I get a little bored. It would be a nice to have a project especially if I had a garage. Maybe I?ll go buy something that needs a lot of work.

Comment

I dont want to be the one to rain on your party Joe, but your bike sounds like there isnt anything wrong with it. :-) These old bikes when new were expected to consume a qt of oil every 2-3000 miles. The older air cooled engines such as ours have bigger tolerances than the new water cooled bikes of today. Consequently, a bit of oil does get used. Large tolerances are also why relative to the new stuff they have a lot of "running sounds".

I wouldnt worry about putting in a quart each year. :-) :-)

Earl

[quote="joeadams"]I thought perhaps the synthetic oil would be better at getting past the rings and valve guides which would cause it to burn more. It?s been a while since I pulled any spark plugs so I can?t answer that one. One quart/2500 miles seems like a lot to me but what do I know. I would be surprised if it were using much more than that.
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

On the last major run, 2200 miles, my bike used about a quart and a quarter...plus or minus. I thought that was pretty good, considering the high number of Interstate highway miles I racked up.

Now, if you run Extra Virgin Olive Oil... I recommend a garlic and basil, salt and pepper additive, with a quality Modena Balsamic Vinegar and Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar base. Mmmmmm salad time!

Comment

There isnt anything wrong with that oil consumption rate. Its fine.

As for the virgin olive oil, what would they do with the olives if I didnt want them virgin? :-)

Earl

Originally posted by jimcor
          On the last major run, 2200 miles, my bike used about a quart and a quarter...plus or minus. I thought that was pretty good, considering the high number of Interstate highway miles I racked up.

Now, if you run Extra Virgin Olive Oil... I recommend a garlic and basil, salt and pepper additive, with a quality Modena Balsamic Vinegar and Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar base. Mmmmmm salad time!

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Don't worry Earl you didn't ruin any party. I'm sure I can find something else that needs fixin. I'm glad that I don't have to be worried about that anymore though. I'm going to keep track from now on though.

thanks

Comment

:-)

E.

Originally posted by joeadams
              Don't worry Earl you didn't ruin any party. I'm sure I can find something else that needs fixin. I'm glad that I don't have to be worried about that anymore though. I'm going to keep track from now on though.

thanks

Comment

Working...
              X