how fast is a GS550ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how fast is a GS550ES

I just got a 83 GS550ES, I lost to a 13.9 sec car from a 30 mph roll, I weight like 180, I'm assuming this bike should go faster then this. Has anyone ran at the track and what times should I expect with a stock 550es.
    Also what should I look to tune up?
    Thanks

never run mine at a track so not sure of exact numbers and time but my '83 550E from one side of a 4 lane intersection by the time I pass the opposite sides stop line I can be anywhere from 60 - right under 70 MPH depending on the launch... then again I shouldn't be doing thouse kinds of things nor looking at the speedometer at those times... though I usually give it a quick check when I'm slowing down.

Also top speed is gonna be near 105 - 110 mph and the gear ratios/clutch are set for such... from what I've heard though out of a 550 a friend of mine curious enough ran the numbers though one of his engine builder programs and told me that stock the bike should do mid-14's no problem.

Comment

Not sure about US spec bikes but my '86 UK ES has seen 120mph without reaching redline. Never raced it, but once you get to around 7,000rpm there is a bit of extra pull!

Comment

Well if you depend on the speedo (which isn't that accurate I'm sure) mine has seen 126 numerous times. The mags I remember said a max of 128, but I couldn't get there, and neither could my friends (we owned 4 84/85 E and ES's).

My Buddy Sean, back in 88 ran a sub 13 with his (memory is cloudy but I seem to remember 12.92). He wasn't the best rider, but he was light (probably 120 at best), and he used the clutch on every shift. Granted, he could cut a quick light.

You screwed yourself on the rolling start. The bike should eat a car's lunch out of the hole, then the car should start making up ground near the end of the strip. Roll on's are cheap, make him do it heads up...with a little work, you should beat him every time! Work on you launches, only use the clutch for the launch and the 1/2 shift, and shift when it quits pulling (which for mine is darn near redline, but not past, like 10,500 rpms on a 10750 redline).

The rolling start let the car have a distinct advantage. Its not easy getting pork to roll quickly.

Go get'em, and make him play fair!
        Kenny

Comment

I had read somewhere that these bikes could do 12 sec quartermile

Comment

Had mine up to 105-110 area, but didn't try and push past that, but I think 115-120 would top it out..What was said in the previous post is true about the rolling start. From a dead stop, you should be able to blow cars off the line.

Comment

I remember reading an article about a ride test for the 550ES which said this bike was designed to beat the gpz550 or 600 when it came out in 1983. The results were around 12.3 in the quarter and the gpz was around 12.7 if I remember right. I will try to find it.

Comment

That sounds about right...it was the fastest of the 500/600 class for a while. I also know all the acceleration figures were with Pee Wee Gleason aboard...thus if you are within .2 of the figures, your getting about all you can out of it.

Kenny

Comment

I just ran my 80 gs550e at the track the other night. First time ever at a track, and i went 15.0 @ 87 mph. Most likely i still have a few tenths to shave off. Now i don't know how useful this is, but the older 550's aren't that quick.

But definently race from a stop, while he is having traction problems, you'll be pulling hardcore.

Comment

The older 550's pre '83 had the 2 valves per cylinder motors, '83-'86 had 4 valves per cylinder the TSCC motor should have been quicker. In stock form they should run around 12.3 in the quarter, with 4-1 pipes, pods and jetting and maybe a sprocket change, I'm sure it would do better.

Comment

September '83 Cycle World
                      1/4 mile - 12.39 sec @ 105.75 mph
                      Top Speed (actual) - 124 mph
                      Top gear roll on times: 60-80 mph - 5.6 seconds
                      Speedometer error: 60 mph indicated - 61 mph actual

July '83 Cycle
                      1/4 mile - 12.37 sec @ 106.88 mph
                      Peak rear wheel HP - 56.41 @ 10,000 rpm (Kerker dyno)
                      Speedometer error: 60 mph indicated - 60.28 mph actual

June '83 Cycle Guide
                      1/4 mile - 12.593 sec @ 104.04 mph
                      Top Speed (actual) - 120 mph
                      Speedometer error: 55 mph indicated - 54 mph actual

I've personally had mine up to 10,300 rpm in 6th gear, which computes to 119.5 mph.
                      sigpic

SUZUKI:
                      1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                      HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                      KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                      YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Thanks for all your input guys I have a couple more questions
                        where might I find a 4 into 1 exhaust and what is a pod
                        Also what should I tune up on this beast cause I'm sure it needs it
                        Thanks
                        alot

Comment

by far if you look at '83 GS550's you'll see a Vance and Hines 4 into 1 exhaust on it. I swear it had to be a popular upgrade because right after I got mine I went searching online and found dozens of pics with em on there... From what I've seen and heard they don't make them anymore but some lucky folks have found them on E-bay from time to time. pics of an E model with a vance and hines... http://www.thegsresources.com/_scrip...d.php?RegID=99

A pod is an at carb intake air filter as opposed to using an air box. I have K&N pods on my '83 GS550E. I went looking for replacements and didn't come up with much luck. But the ones I have are in good shape and the K&N cleaning kit made it look damn near new.

Comment

Here's a brand new V&H exhaust for sale:

I have one on my bike. You'll have to rejet the carbs to make it work.

Nobody makes pod filters for this bike anymore, and generic ones don't fit because of the oddball double barrel carbs. About all you can do is call salvage shops and see if they have a wrecked bike with pods installed.
                            sigpic

SUZUKI:
                            1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                            HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                            KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                            YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

I have done a few mods to my '78 GS550 and there were 3 in particular that I noticed a definate difference:

1) Jardine 4-1 exhaust (with stock airbox) - The first test drive after installing the exhaust I noticed the bike reved differently, and reved faster. Sounds nice too.

2) Boyer Electronic ignition - once installed and timed with a timing light I noticed a small power increase. Again, reved faster and felt "free-er" reving.

3) By far the cheapest and easiest power increase - replace o-ring chain with a normal roller chain - You would not believe how much difference you will notice with this mod. An o-ring chain robs your bike of power. Before this mod I could never lift the wheel off the ground just by snapping the throttle (no clutch), and now I can do it. Also better gas milage. Pay off is you have to oil more often, and adjust more often and chain doesnt last as long. But for $20 a chain, I think its worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X