goin' RIGID with Struts.... info Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

goin' RIGID with Struts.... info Please

Hey guys....sorry for all the beginner type questions but....

2 questions....

#1 how Bad is it on the butt to ride a GS big bore on the street when the shocks are replaced with struts ??... ( I know it probably depends on the road and the meat you have for padding......or..... it may be just an opinionated answer but...I'd like to hear who hates it and who can deal with it )

#2 is there much of a chance of bending( or breaking ) the top shock mounts while using struts on the street ???

I am mainly just looking to run it at the local track for fun

thanks again in advance...you guys ROCK !!!

Robb

Robb, just the thought of struts gives me a pain in the hemrhoids! :roll:

Comment

I ran my bike with struts to try it out - I was able to lower the bike 3" - it looked slammed!! Didn't ride as bad as I thought it would.
      I decided to pay a guy to lower my shocks - it was a mistake. Spent 77 and they now bottom out all the time (don't pay www.sotmc.com to lower them! they ruined my shocks). If you want to lower it, go with struts.

Comment

struts

the ride depends on the size/profile of the tire, if is a 70 series then it will ride rougher than a 90 profile tire, a mag wheel will ride rougher than a spoke wheel and a big pot hole will hit you in the kidneys so bad you will be short of breath, I own a ridged frame bike so I know first hand, and I have seen the top studs break off, you can run a shorter shock but you have to up the spring rate, so its a give and take type thing

Comment

Remember that the shock not only makes for a more comfortable ride, but also allows the tire to stick to the road on rough surfaces. So if you go with struts on the road you may find your rear end stepping out on you in a corner, or hopping on acceleration.

Comment

You can make your own struts easy enough and it will cost you next to nothing. Taking the stock shocks off and replacing them with your struts is an extra simple job. Try it out and see for yourself. If you don't like riding rigid, you won't be out anything but a little time.

Comment

Working...
            X