windshield repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

windshield repair

Has anyone ever tried to repair a plexiglass windshield? Mine broke on my last trip and I'm too cheap to buy a new one. It's a National Cycle Plexistar 2, which is just a big sheet of plastic mounted to the bike at four places. The plastic broke near one of the mounts along a crack that's about 5 inches long. The repair doesn't have to be clear, since it's out of view, but it should be strong. Although having ridden with it for 50 miles after it broke, I can say that if it breaks again after the repair the windshield will probably not fly up in my face. Probably.

I haven't been able to find anyone in the Chicago area who repairs plexiglass but I'm not really sure where to look. If I have to do it myself I'm thinking maybe glue the pieces together, then drill holes on either side of the crack and bolt on two or three pieces of flexible metal across the crack to relieve some stress.

-Graeme

There's a cement for plexiglass or Lucite. A large hardware or home improvement store may have it, or check your phone book for plastics suppliers in your area. (If you're lucky you might find someplace that sells plastic scrap by the pound. You might find a piece big enough to replace the whole thing.) If visibility's not an issue, maybe JB Weld will hold it.

I haven't tried using bolted-on metal straps to repair plastic panels, but I wonder if drilling the holes might weaken the plastic too much. Depends on how much stress is on the holes I guess.

Dave

Comment

Yes. I just repaired a Maier windhield I broke on the tour 3 weeks ago. The product I used was GOOP. A silicone sealer/adhesive. Specifcally "Plumber's Goop". Eclectic Products makes about 4 or so varieties of this stuff and the Plumber's Goop works best with plastic. I got mine at the local Ace Hardware. 5 bucks.

I tacked the shield with superglue and used a couple of big spring alligator clips to hold it together then applied a bead of Goop to both sides of the shield. Probably not use the superglue if I did it over. Wait at least a full day for product to cure before flipping over to do the other side. How's it look? Well, let's just say the more bug splatters the better! 8O

Comment

Drill a small hole at the end of the crack so it doesn't get bigger

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
          Drill a small hole at the end of the crack so it doesn't get bigger
          Yes, if you're repairing cracks, do drill a small hole to stop the crack from running. My shield was in two pieces, which is why I did the superglue tack. It did have one crack that I drilled. (twice actually well I was close the first time but, no banana) Also the Goop stuff is clear. The repair so far has been successful, 125 miles later.

Comment

Working...
          X