New rider...need help on my 80 GS550 E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New rider...need help on my 80 GS550 E

Hi everyone, I am new here and need help on my first bike. I just got a 80 GS 550 E. After I replace the petcock, I finally got it to run. But there are few problems. First I also replace the 4 k&n air filter, do I need to rejet? Is it normal that my exhaust has white smoke come out? And only my first cylinder air filter has gas in there, what is wrong with it? Can anyone help me with it?

Helpless newbie

I would highly recommend putting the stock airbox back on. If you don't have it, then get one of ebay for like $10 bucks.

This will solve alot of your problems. Once you get the bike running, then you can experiment with jets/pods.

Get it running smoothly first.

Also, the fuel in the pod, sounds like you have a stuck float. Do you have alot of fuel in your oil? You propably need to clean the carbs real well.

Comment

Hi thanks for your help brvegle. I'll try that. I already clean the carb twice already. Do I need to clean carb again? And don't know why the bike won't start again. Can anyone help me with it?

Comment

Originally posted by inffc
        Hi thanks for your help brvegle. I'll try that. I already clean the carb twice already. Do I need to clean carb again? And don't know why the bike won't start again. Can anyone help me with it?
        On my 550, after i cleaned the carbs, or anytime i run the float bowls dry, i have to manual funnel gasoline down the hose to the carbs... once they fill up, start the bike, once you get it turning over and running, shut if off, and hook the tank up. It should run then. While you have all of this off, replace the pods with the stock airbox, and i am pretty sure you're bike will start running alot better...

Comment

Does the white smoke go away when the bike warms up?
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
          X