Split an airbox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Split an airbox?

Can it be done, or is it glued at the seam? Has anyone done this without destroying the airbox? It would be nice if it could be split at the seam I could probably remove the airbox without having to pull the motor and reinstall if desired. Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks. Tom.

Ah come on, you don't have to pull the engine to get the airbox out. Carbs may have to come off but, you don't have to pull the engine. The airbox is molded one piece and is not glued.

Comment

OK Jim, I think you're talking about the 550L airbox, which is much smaller and one piece. The airbox in question is on the GS550ES it's not one piece, it's molded two piece with a large seam around the middle. It's definitely not coming out in one piece without pulling the motor or cutting the frame(a bit extreme, I know). I'm just not sure if it's glued or thermal welded or snapped together at the seam or if maybe it can be pried apart somehow, if anyone knows. I did read something about a hacksaw...just wondering if there isn't a better way.

Comment

Well, I looked in my Clymer manual (550 all models thru 86 [sorta]) and it conveniently ignores any mention of the ES airbox. All I can say is it sounds like Suzuki learned that trick from Kawasaki. I had a friend who had an 86 ES but this issue never came up. Sorry.

Comment

Looking at the exploded view from alph-sports site the air box is a two piece assembly. it looks to me like you might be able to get it out after removing the carbs and the carb to airbox boots?

Comment

On my GS450L, to remove the airbox, you need to remove the engine first. To avoid this I split the airbox at the seams after I removed the carburetor. It is glued together. I took a screwdriver and hammer and went to work. It came apart fairly easy. Just time consuming. Much easier than taking the engine out.

Comment

Holy crap. A good excuse to buy pods.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

exactly

Comment

Looks like the screwdriver and hammer method so far. When I get my jet kit installed, and the pods come in, I will carefully give it a try and see if it will come apart without too much damage, so that it can be put back in if necessary. I can probably seal the joint with some RTV which can be pulled apart pretty easily next time. Thanks. Tom.

Comment

Working...
                  X