Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is this oil leak coming from ?

Hi All

After a run on my GS1000G I find a small puddle of oil has collected on the front bottom fin of the cylinder block between cylinders 1 and 2. Closer inspection appears to show that the oil is running down the cylinder stud between 1 and 2.

Any ideas where this oil leak could originate from? I don't understand what the route could be, because this particular stud doesn't travel through the cam box, nor is it anywhere near an oil passage?

Thanks in advance.

If you're lucky, it's coming from the valve cover, and just isn't collecting until it gets lower down. Watch out for the tach cable and think the breather is on top of the cover in the front. They have a habbit of leaking, and on some models the wind keeps the actual leak area somewhat dry.

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightRider
      If you're lucky, it's coming from the valve cover, and just isn't collecting until it gets lower down. Watch out for the tach cable and think the breather is on top of the cover in the front. They have a habbit of leaking, and on some models the wind keeps the actual leak area somewhat dry.
      Well I checked the cam cover all round and it is bone dry, as is the tach cable entry. So what about if I'm unlucky

Comment

Then you're looking at pulling the head. Leaky gasket or crack. Myself, it would depend on how bad the leak is. Can you put up with the amount of oil leaking? Then again, some people are just acheing for a reason to tear the engine down. I keep my front wheels on the ground. Furthest I've ever gotton into a GS engine is to adjust the valves. I've rebuilt motorcycle engines before and I really didn't like the addition of the transmission parts to deal with. In my own humble opinion, if somehow you were able to destroy a GS engine, buy another one and use your old bike for parts. I've been able to find them rather inexpensive, have traveled 3000 miles to ride them back though.

Comment

Did you try my trick of adding pressure to the vent hose and washing the engine with soapy water? This is how I found my last hard to find leak.

Comment

Originally posted by lecroy
            Did you try my trick of adding pressure to the vent hose and washing the engine with soapy water? This is how I found my last hard to find leak.
            Hi, can you explain this in a bit more detail? Did you just blow in the hose or connect it to a compressor? I can understand how this could pinpoint a big leak, but maybe a small leak would be harder??

Comment

This was my original post:

Was cheaper than buying a leak detector kit.

Comment

Working...
              X