Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil temp gauge.

Hi gang.

Someone was talking about oil temperature in one of these forums. I believe it was with the oil coolers. And this stirred some interest for me. I would like to know the best way to install an oil temp gauge on my 1978 GS 1000. Can you help?

Thanks
    Roman.

I know you will need a sending unit. Not sure where it would mount though. Maybe there is a combo unit that would fit into where the pressure switch goes.

Comment

Installing an oil temp gauge.

Both jknappsax and myself are hoping that someone out their has done this. () Any ideas. Dallyr started us off in the right direction. Any other suggestions that could get us working on this small project would be great.

Thanks

Roman.

Comment

Roman I`ll take a look at my bike and let you know

Comment

That would be great.
          Thanks.

Comment

VDO makes an oil temp gauge. I've had one on my 850 for 18 years.
            The sender is a small plug that goes into the oil drain plug. The gauge is backlit and mounts on the handlebar. They also make a voltmeter which is mighty handy and looks good opposite the oil temp gauge.

bill

Comment

Originally posted by billp
              VDO makes an oil temp gauge. I've had one on my 850 for 18 years.
              The sender is a small plug that goes into the oil drain plug. The gauge is backlit and mounts on the handlebar. They also make a voltmeter which is mighty handy and looks good opposite the oil temp gauge.

bill
              Bill
              Does the company have a website or someplace to check out the voltmeter. I was thinking of just buying a 15 volt meter and wiring it in with a switch in series but something with a proper mount would be better. I have sls thought of just cutting one into the side cover and using the meter to perform the standard tests at idle and 5000 rpm.

Comment

Why don't you get the oil temp/pressure sender mounting plate from a GS1000S? As you know the S had an oil temp gauge and had a different plate below the cam chain tensioner. I can get you the part number if you need it. Couldn't cost more than a few dollars.
                You could then use any commercially available oiltemp set up(VDO, Tim, Durite etc) which normally come with adaptors for the sender.

Comment

Excellent, this is great help.
                  Thank you so much for your help.
                  The voltmeter will definitely find a spot next to the oil temp gauge.

Roman

Comment

try www.egauges.com, they have a pretty good layout of vdo gauges, I used the vision series.

bill

Comment

Originally posted by billp
                      try www.egauges.com, they have a pretty good layout of vdo gauges, I used the vision series.

bill
                      Good site--thanks Bill

Comment

I know this is a fairly old thread, but I didn't want to repeat a post (ah ha! I successfully used the "search" feature again!).

I am going to be using an oil cooler adapter that includes a temperature sending unit in it (courtesy of a fellow member). I then plan on mounting VDO oil temperature and voltmeter gauges (to help keep an eye on this pesky broad).

Someone metioned above using the "vision"series of VDO gauges. Are these appropriate for outdoors as far as weather? Also, how can you mount these VDO gauges? Do they go on the handlebars, and if so, how??

Thanks for the help!!
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-12-2006, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
                          Why don't you get the oil temp/pressure sender mounting plate from a GS1000S? As you know the S had an oil temp gauge and had a different plate below the cam chain tensioner. I can get you the part number if you need it. Couldn't cost more than a few dollars.
                          You could then use any commercially available oiltemp set up(VDO, Tim, Durite etc) which normally come with adaptors for the sender.
                          what exactly is this, got a pic or a link?

Trying to get a oil temp sender fitted to the 750t

thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X