rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rpm

hello everyone, I got my bike 1980 gs 1000g, back from a repair shop, he did the valve adgustment and carb sinc. it runs good but it stales at stop lights, I wander if the idle is low, can someone tell me what would the idle rpm should be?.

Ard

Idle RPM should be (in an ideal world) approx. 1100. I find that my bike likes it better if I set the idle rpm at 1300 or so.

Does it still stall when hot? I'd take the bike back to the mechanic, because he didn't do things right.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

1100 is a good idle speed, but properly sync'd carbs can run much lower and not stall. If you haven't sync'd your carbs in a while, you may want to now.

Comment

Sometimes stalling at idle (especially when hot) is an over rich
        condition. Check your plug color when it stalls.

Mo

Comment

My 1150 is set for an 1100 rpm idle when warmed up. It will idle down to around 600......if I wanted to set it that low. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by lhanscom
          1100 is a good idle speed, but properly sync'd carbs can run much lower and not stall. If you haven't sync'd your carbs in a while, you may want to now.
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
            My 1150 is set for an 1100 rpm idle when warmed up. It will idle down to around 600......if I wanted to set it that low. :-)

Earl

Yeah, well mine will idle to 500rpm if I wanted. :P

Comment

Ahhhh Haaaaaaa, thats pretty darn good tuning there Luke.
              Tell ya what, I'll challenge you to a drag race, your 1150 against mine.
              There will be a special rule in effect for this race. We will set the rev limiters on each bike to a max rpm of 600. :-) :-)

Earl

Yeah, well mine will idle to 500rpm if I wanted. :P

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

You're on!!!!

Can I use the nitrous? A 600rpm snap wheelie, mmmmm fun.

Comment

Sure, why not. :-) I'll be a sport and give you that 1/1000th hp edge. LOL

Earl

You're on!!!!

Can I use the nitrous? A 600rpm snap wheelie, mmmmm fun.

Comment

Sounds good, so lets set the date, January 2, you come on up here, I know of a nice lake they clear the snow off of to do this sort of thing.

Comment

idle

I will see your 500 idle speed and raise you( lower you) to a 450rpm idle speed for 3 minutes in fifth gear in the quarter mile, first one to go over 3 minutes will lose

Comment

Re: idle

Hmmm, sounds like we're on for a three way minimum rpm drag race. LOL

Earl

Originally posted by Gee-s-is
                        I will see your 500 idle speed and raise you( lower you) to a 450rpm idle speed for 3 minutes in fifth gear in the quarter mile, first one to go over 3 minutes will lose

Comment

rpm

Well I set the rpm to 1100, it took care of the stalling problem, but something more scary happened last night; I got of the main road, as I downshifted, my foot slept off the shifter, I looked down to see my boot, the engine and shifter on the left side was covered with oil and seems like gasoline, I was very concerned, I dont know for how long that has been like that, I did not loose any preformance nor compression, or wierd noises.
                          I think the gas was in the cranck case for a while, could it be that it kind of desolves the seals? what should I do?any ideas?
                          :x :x : :roll:

Comment

Re: rpm

With the air circulation patterns around the engine when riding, the oil could be coming from anyplace. Get a bucket of soapy water and wash the bike clean of all oil. Then put it on the centerstand in the garage and with a shop light, look everywhere as it is running to find where the leak first appears. Let us know where its coming from and we might have a fix.

Earl

Originally posted by ard
                            Well I set the rpm to 1100, it took care of the stalling problem, but something more scary happened last night; I got of the main road, as I downshifted, my foot slept off the shifter, I looked down to see my boot, the engine and shifter on the left side was covered with oil and seems like gasoline, I was very concerned, I dont know for how long that has been like that, I did not loose any preformance nor compression, or wierd noises.
                            I think the gas was in the cranck case for a while, could it be that it kind of desolves the seals? what should I do?any ideas?
                            :x :x : :roll:

Comment

oil leak

Hi Earl, this is what I found; I took the chrome side cover off the valve cover, and I noticed the half moon rubber plug was leaking badly, I tried to plug it in but I couldn't, I wonder if to plug it in I should loosen the valve cover. I am thinking to take the bike back to the repair shop who did the valve adjustment or should I try to plug it myself?

Comment

Working...
                              X